Chapter 23

"Hey what are... what are you doing here?" Maya stuttered as she saw Andy standing at her door.

Maya felt like she couldn't breathe, she felt her chest tightening and her breathing was slowing down to the point she felt like she couldn't get any air. To anybody looking at her you would think she was in shock and didn't know what to say but in reality it was a panic attack, a pretty heavy panic attack.

She wasn't ready to face Andy or anyone from the station for that matter. Not after her dad attacked her, for the second time.

Feeling two little hands on her as Matteo walked up behind her to see who it was, slightly hiding behind his mommy's leg.

Regaining some strength Maya looks down at her little boy and says with a strained voice "bubba why don't you go to the bathroom and wash you hands"

As he nodded and ran off to the bathroom, Maya walked towards the kitchen, feeling the tightness filling and overwhelming her body once again.

Andy, looking a bit confused walked in and closed the door behind her followed her Captain into the kitchen. What she saw however was not what she expected, Maya was slightly pacing back and forth shaking her hands trying to calm down.

"Maya" she softly spoke to try to get her attention which worked as the blonde stopped bent over the island and clutched her chest.

Seeing this now realising her boss is in the middle of a panic attack Andy walks closer "Maya breathe, follow my breathing... in... out.... In.... Out.... Good now a couple more times. In... out.... In... out... you are okay breathe" hearing her friends breath go back to normal the sighed thankful that she got her round again as she heard the little patter of foot steps coming closer to them.

"All clean mommy" Matteo jumped up and down showing his hands but stopped and frowned seeing the look on his mommy's face and tear stains on her checks. Walking up to the two firefighters he pushed Andy away "You hurt Mommy. Go Away!" His voice raising as he continued to speak.

Trying not to make her voice too shaky Maya stopped Matteo for going after Andy again "bubba it's okay" he didn't listen though and stood his ground glaring at the lieutenant. "Matteo look at me" she said now crouching down to his level. "Come here" she spun him round and pulled him into a hug. "Bubba I'm okay, see" she said as she pulled back. Not looking at the brunette she continued "remember the morning when you and mama were coming to the station for the spaghetti dinner" waiting for a nod before she continued which her little man gave.

"You got overwhelmed" he said while nodding messing up the word a little as it was a big one for him to say.

"Exactly, well the same thing happened just now. Mommy just got overwhelmed." Seeing the three year understand by the look in his eyes, Maya lifted him up on her hip as she stood up herself.

"Now bubba I know it's hard but I want you to apologise to Andy because it's not nice to push people and it's not nice to shout at them either, okay" Maya spoke in a calm voice making sure that Matteo knew he wasn't in trouble but he still needed to apologise.

"But but... why did you get overwhelmed... we were playing before but we played before and you not do that" he stuttered a little, wondering why his mommy was getting all these big emotions.

Setting him on the island that she was previously resting on Maya explained " bubba emotions can come at you at different times and sometimes you don't expect them to come but in no way shape or form was spending time with you and playing with you brought my big emotions on it wasn't you okay. You are my little man no way could you do this to me." She gestured to her face.