Chapter 12

Her call with the chief was a weekly check in she had to do since the incident at the fire alarm that got called into question. Becoming routine at this point she knew what had to be said.

Shaking the call off. She made her way up to the beanery knowing that's where the team were at. Hearing their laughs and he favourite little laugh made her smile she stopped just out of eye shot looking at her team with her little boy. Seeing how they are talking to him and making him laugh. Just watching and leaving them in their bubble for a moment made everything seem as if they were back to normal before she was captain.

Although she wasn't standing there for long as those little brown eyes that she has fallen for had spotted her from where he was sitting on Andy's knees. Taking a few steps in as she saw him wriggling down and stumbling trying to get to her. The team still didn't notice her until Matteo said mommy, they looked over to her as she picked her son up giving him a cuddle.

Ignoring the looks the team were giving her she started talking to him "hi bubba, I'm sorry I had to take a boring call from my boss" he snuggled into her more but when he realised he didn't have his blanket or teddy he wanted down again.

Whimpering still in her arms he pointed towards the team. "What's wrong?"

"Teddy and blankie" he whispered in her ear as he put his head on her chest and one of his hands on the collar of her uniform.

"Ahh okay." Walking over to the team seeing them looking at her. With Andy she could still see she was shocked but she saw amazement in her eyes. With Dean Jack and Vic they were in complete shock. Food on the cutlery was staring to fall off as it was hanging in mid air. Ben and Travis were struggling to hold in their laughs.

"Uhh hi we are here to pick up two very important items." Maya tried to joke. "Okay tough crowd umm Andy do you have his teddy and blanket."

"Yeah umm here is his teddy and here is his blanket" the Latina gave to her captain one by one.

"Thank you, can you say thank you bubs"

"Grazie Andy"

"You are very welcome Matteo" andy answered picking up on the Italian.

"Good boy. Now I think it's time for some more medicine. Where is you're..."

"Oh Maya his bag is beside the fridge." The surgeon commented.

"Perfect thank you Ben. Buddy do you want juice or milk?" Maya asked as she made her way over to the bag.

"No I no want anything" Matteo whines "I just want you"

"I know you do and I'm here with you bubba but you need to drink and take your medicine it will make you feel better" she tried to reason with her little man but he wasn't complying with her.

The team were still in shock seeing this side of Maya. A maternal side. A comforting side. From what they knew or what they can remember is more like it, is that Maya always ran from kid duty. She would do anything to not have to deal with a kid. Now however, she is not only taking care of the boy willingly but he calls her mommy and she doesn't freak out.

Realising they have been missing out on there friends life, for not seeing that Maya was telling the truth about changing, that Maya has a new family that they never knew about it. It made them feel guilty in more ways than one.

They guilt of ignorance. Ignoring the fact that Maya is a great Captain. Ignoring the glint in her eye of hurt every time they made a comment about not being right for the job. Ignoring the fact that although Maya was their friend and part of their station 19 family they were treating her like was a piece of dirt on their shoe.

Seeing Maya now, in her little bubble with her son the team could see how much love Maya had for little Matteo. How noticeable Maya was showing that she didn't need them to be happy. That she found her happiness without them and is working to keep her happiness.

Vic was the first to speak up. "So how long have you been a mommy captain?"

Breaking her bubble with the little Italian she sighed she knew this was going to happen and truth was she wasn't ready for it just yet. She did make a decision though when she was having a conversation with Andy in her office. She's keeping Carina to herself for now not until it's impossible to stay quiet or until she is ready.

"Like I told Andy in my office officially since Saturday morning. Unofficially about 3 months ago just after I made captain and with his mama about 1 1/2 months possibly 2 before that."

"Wait hang on you got into a relationship before you made Captain and didn't tell us or mention anything?" Vic exclaimed. She knew Maya was somewhat secretive and yes she hasn't talked to Maya the past three months coming four months but it stunned her even more to learn that she was with someone before her captaincy. 

"Umm yeah I was. I wasn't ready to talk to you guys about her, I guess,  then yeah I made captain and well I got silenced and you know." The blonde talked as she moved around the kitchen getting things for Matteo sorted as well as having him on her hip. A thought drifted in her mind 'Which I'm glad you guys didn't know about them beforehand'

"Look I wasn't ready to talk about Ca..her so I didn't. There was something about her that was different and you guys know what I was like before. Plus I loved having her to myself for a while. Then meeting this little one" she tickled his tummy wanting to hear his laugh which worked and brought a smile to her face. As well as a few team members faces.

"We just kinda got into a groove and yeah that's about it. Right you my little monster time for medicine then a nap because you are exhausted bubba" bringing him over to the table sitting down with Matteo on her knee facing her, she scooped some medicine into his mouth, laughing at his screwed up face. "I know it's not nice. Mommy's mean for giving you nasty medicine to help you I know. Come here buddy, here's your blankie and teddy. Sleepy time" standing up swaying him and stroking her finger along his eyebrows and down his nose. His eyes started closing.

Whispering "Maya are you going to put him down so we can ask more questions" Dean shrugged.

Chuckling slightly "to be honest I want to do a couple of things and that isn't one of them"

"Then what do you want to do" Jack scoffed.

"Well one of the things I want to do is curl up beside my little man and sleep. The second is wanting for you guys to forget you even saw Matteo today and just go back to the way it was before but since I can't control that I am going to do the first thing and sleep. So if you will excuse us we will be in my office and please only come in if you need to. Goodnight." Maya whispered in a very stern voice to show that she wasn't messing around.

She was feeling quite angry at the way the team were acting as if she had kept food and drinks from them on a hot day not her family. I mean can you really blame her. They were talking shit about her behind and in front of her back. She could help but think if this is what it took to get the team to talk to her again, to introduce them to her son she would've done it sooner.

Making her way to her bunk, she didn't bother drawing the blinds to her office or changing she just climbed into bed trying not to move around too much. Settling down with Matteo out cold on top of her she reaches for her phone to send a quick message update to Carina. Both Maya and Matteo were in a deep slumber for the first time in days.

Hope you guys are enjoying the story.

I don't know when I'll update again. The girl I was seeing happened to send me a Snapchat that was for her friend saying she was on a date with someone and surprise it wasn't me so yeah bare with me and I'll update as soon as I can and I wrap my head around this.