thirty

Joy

I was so worried. My parents had met keyon and my mom was smiley as usual but my dad looked... disappointed.

He covered it up though. "Hold on. I'll be back." I told keyon who was talking to AJ and Kayden.

I stood up and made my way inside where my dad was having a drink with Christian.

"Daddy." I called and he looked at me. "I need to talk to you." I started.

Christian walked off and it was just .d and him.

My dad is my best friend so I wanna be honest with him.

"Daddy, I feel like...you don't like keyon." I started. "Naw , it ain't that. Ion know him like that." He started before taking another sip.

"Well why you acting like that?" I questioned. "Imma be honest joy....he remind me of myself at that age. Ian Gon judge him cuz he come in here with all them damn tattoos and expensive clothes....but do he got a real job?" He questioned.

"Uh...yeah." I nodded. "But I'm saying...he reminded me of myself when I was that age..all I did was cheat and move dope. Ion want you to get hurt joy. But I mean...I guess I gotta stop tryna protect you from everything cuz I understand heartbreak Gon happen-" he cut himself off.

"I feel like I'm worried about the wrong stuff. I'm so sorry." He pulled me into a hug. "I should've been focusing on you more. You would've never got to them damn drugs." He explained as I hugged back.

"Daddy , it's ok. That's not your fault...it's mine. I was sneaky." I shrugged.

He kissed my forehead and before I knew it I was crying. I hadn't felt like this in such a long time.

I felt like they weren't focusing on me and I realized what my life was like. Im always at a party or doing drugs. Not just weed. Illicit drugs.

I want everything to change. I need to stop. I'm always lying to my parents, sneaking out and being sneaky. I gotta stop.

"Stop crying. It's aight." He told me before I pulled away and wiped my tears.

"I'm sorry." He apologized again and wiped my tears. "I love you." He reminded me. "I love you too." I sniffled.

We shared another hug before heading outside.

••••••••••Amir

I sighed watching my daughter run around chasing her brother.

I had to chill out with joy cuz I realized I was acting like my mama in a way.

My mama didn't like kalanie for nothing but Ian tryna say I don't like keyon.

I just don't want him to hurt her but I gotta realize I can't protect her from everything.

I did as much as I could.

But about the acting like my mom...I changed my mind. Ian as bad as my mom.

My mama couldn't stand kalanie and I never said I couldn't stand keyon.

He cool.

My mama didn't like kalanie cuz she knew kalanie was the one I'd end up with and I don't see why that bothered her so much.

But we cut her off recently. She ain't finna keep doing joy like that.

And kalanie. It's been too long. I would've thought she would've accepted it by now.

I sipped from the glass in my hand as I stared ahead.

"Daddy, Kayden hit me." Alani frowned. I sighed. Girl if you don't hit his ass back...

"Tell him I said come here here." I spoke and she ran off as my wife walked up.

"Come sit down." She told me. "You fixed my plate?" I asked. She furrowed her eyebrows. "Did you ask me too?" She got Smart and I smacked my lips.

She grabbed my hand and led me to a table where our kids were plus keyon.

I sat down and finished the Hennessy in my glass.

"No more drinks amir." Kalanie Mumbled. I smacked my lips. "Imma have one more." I crossed my arms leaning back in my chair.

Joy

I walked outside of the house with keyon after he said bye to everyone.

Then I seen Cj walking and he was looking at us.

He just paused and watched as we reached his car.

"Bye. I'll see you soon." I grabbed his face before kissing him. "How soon?" He licked his lips. "Um.. maybe Saturday." I explained.

He nodded his head before kissing my lips as he wrapped his arms around my waist.

I slowly pushed him off and he chuckled. He knew how I felt about pda.

He walked to his side of the car and hopped in as i walked off.

"So you fucking ok this nigga now?" I was taken back when Christian pushed me back causing me to trip and fall.

He was getting way too comfortable with putting his hands on me.

Before I could stand up he sent a kick to my face and before I knew it Christians body was being swung to the ground.

People came outside and I hated how it looked. I quickly stood up and pulled keyon off of him.

CJ spat blood out as he sat up.

I pushed keyon towards the car.