𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 4 : 𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐑 𝐁𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐘

"running up that hill

"running up that hill."

◇─◇──◇─────◇──◇─◇

"I'm sorry. I guess I'm having trouble understanding any of this," Jonathan said to the agent lady sitting across from him. "I mean, what exactly is going on in Hawkins? What's doing these killings?"

"That's what we're trying to ascertain."

"Where is El and Nina, like, right now?"

"For their safety, it's best you don't know."

"This is insane! This is insane!" Mike exclaimed, getting up and walking behind the couch.

"So this training to get El's and Nina's powers back, how long is it gonna take?"

"It could take weeks, could take months."
"Months?"

"Until then, agents Harmon and Wallace will stay with you."

"We're not the ones in danger."

"Our friends live in Hawkins."
"My family lives in Hawkins."

"And I'll work to contain the situation until Eleven and Nine are ready. In the meantime, it is of viral importance you do not speak to anyone about this."

"No," Mike scoffed. "No way."
"I know this is difficult to understand."
"It's not difficult. This is impossible."

"There are factions within our government who are working directly against Eleven and Nine, who are, in fact, searching for them as we speak. We can't risk contact. If they learn about any of this, it will jeopardize Eleven and Nine. And if Eleven and Nine are jeopardized, so are your friends. And so is your family."

"So, what?" Mike scoffed again. "We're just supposed to trust that you're the good guys? Whoever you are?"

"We're friends of Owens. Eleven and Nine both trusted us. Now we're asking the same from you. For you," she grabbed a note and gave it to Mike.

Mike went into the room he was staying in, opened the letter, and read it.

Dear Mike,
I have gone to become a superhero again with my sister.
From,
El

-

Nina fell asleep in the car. That wasn't surprising because it took a long time to get wherever the place was to help get Nina and El's powers back.

Nina's dream... It was a weird one.

Nina's dream took her back to the summer of 1985, a cherished memory of her time with Lucas. They had bought matching shirts, the very same ones she was wearing now, which brought a smile to her face. The dream vividly reminded her of the deep love she had for Lucas and the joy they shared during that special summer. She dreamed of talking to Lucas every single night on her walkie before one of them fell asleep on each other—mostly Nina—and just managed to hear him say goodnight through the walkie.

In Nina's dream, she found herself thinking about her best friend, Max, and wondering how she was doing. She hoped that Max wasn't involved in whatever was happening back in Hawkins, where they had shared countless memories together. As the dream unfolded, Nina remembered a difficult time in her life when her brother passed away, causing her to be emotionally overwhelmed and distant from her friends, including Max and El. In the dream, Nina felt a sense of remorse for not reaching out to her as much as she should have during that trying period. She hoped that Max was doing well and had found her own path to healing and happiness.

In Nina's dream, her thoughts were consumed by her best friend, Dustin. She found herself wondering how he was doing and hoped that he was having a great time in his beloved Dungeons & Dragons club. The dream seemed to immerse her in the world of D&D, and she found herself curious about how the game worked and the adventures they were embarking on. As the dream continued, Nina's feelings of nostalgia deepened, and she missed Dustin's humor and companionship more than ever. She remembered all the laughter they had shared and the bond they had formed over the years. In the dream, she felt a sense of longing to reconnect with him, to catch up on everything they had missed and create new memories together.

She mostly just wanted to go home.

Home as in Hawkins.