𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 6 : 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐈𝐕𝐄

"is this the real life? is this just fantasy?"

◇─◇──◇─────◇──◇─◇

"Do you know what happens when someone has a stroke?" Brenner asked. "The blood supply to the brain is cut off. It scrambles the signals in the brain to the point where the mind can forget how to do things. To eat. To speak. To walk. When you were attacked last year, I believe that your signals were scrambled in much the same way. But just as a stroke victim can learn to walk again, I believe you, too, can return to your full power. Your abilities are still in here. You just need to remember."

He took them into a different room. One filled to the brim with tapes.

"Everything that took place in my lab was captured on video tape. Every success and every failure. It's important for you both to not just see your past, but to fully re-experience it. In doing so, I believe we can repair your broken signals. As we saw tonight, that process has already begun."

"If this all happened," El spoke as she and Nina watched the video tape. "Why don't we remember it?"

"Because you do not want to. Our brains have a defense mechanism in place to protect it from bad memories. From trauma. You both have buried these memories long ago."

"Papa. When we were in there, we saw something. There was blood. So much blood."

"That was another memory, a... a more powerful one, invading from your subconscious. You both have demons. You have demons in your past. That is why we must proceed carefully. One step at a time, one memory at a time. If we go too fast, I'm afraid you could become lost in the darkness. And if you guys are lost... so are we all."

-

This time when Nina went back into her memories, El was there with her. They were currently playing a game, trying to get a red circle in a certain number. When they kept failing, they kept getting more and more frustrated.

Nina reached up, putting another red circle in. It fell down, and didn't get in the number they wanted. Nina let out a frustrated grunt, and then a voice startled them both.

"Which number are you aiming for?" The orderly asked.

"Three," El said.

"You know," the orderly said, walking over and sitting down next to El, "sometimes it's helpful to take a step away for a moment. Let the mind clear."

El furrowed her eyebrows, ignoring his solution. She reached up, putting another red circle in. But it didn't land in three, it landed in six.