𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 7 : 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐀𝐒𝐒𝐀𝐂𝐑𝐄 𝐀𝐓 𝐇𝐀𝐖𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐒 𝐋𝐀𝐁

"look around, choose your own ground

"look around, choose your own ground."

◇─◇──◇─────◇──◇─◇

The girls sat in a room, trying to use their powers to crush a Coke bottle as Owens and Brenner watched them from outside the room.

It wasn't working, though. The only thing that they could think about was how they killed all of those children. All the other numbers.

"We're running out of time here, Martin," Owens stated. "Hawkins is running out of time."

"I understand the stakes quite well," he said.

"You know, sometimes I wonder if you really do. Or maybe you've just done all this 'cause you missed your daddy-daughter time. I've given you everything you asked for. I've compromised my principals. I've risked my life, my family's life. All because you assured me this would work, that this was the only way. But I don't see any progress out there, Martin. You know what I see? I see two frightened, traumatized little girls. Good for us."

-

"The truth is, you're both regressing. You're going backward," Brenner explained as El and Nina sat on the beds in the room. "Eleven, Nine, look at me. Look at me. I know you're frightened. You're terribly frightened by what you've seen. But it's this very fear that's now holding you back. If you want Nina to succeed, you cannot hide from the truth, no matter how frightening it may be."

"We saw what we did," El breathed shakily. "We are the monster."

"You two speak of monsters, superheroes. That's the stuff of myth and fairy tales. Reality, truth, is rarely so simple. People are not so easily defined. Only by facing all of ourselves, the good and the bad, can we become whole."

"What if we don't wanna become whole?" Nina asked.

"Then that is a choice," he said, looking between El and Nina. "Your choice. The door is always open. This place is not a prison. This is," he signaled to their mind. "You both chose to trust me once. I'm asking you to trust me again. Journey with me into the past one last time. Stop hiding, Eleven. Stop hiding, Nine."

They agreed, getting ready to go back into the past. Brenner had grabbed a tape from one specific day. He knew just how to help El and Nina.

"How much time did you skip?" Owens asked as he saw the time skip.

"You wanted progress. I'm giving it to you."

-

"Try your best not to blink," Brenner said, swiping a flashlight in front of Nina's eyes. She followed it, not blinking. "Any more headaches? Nausea this morning?" Nina shook her head. "How about your memory? Can you remember what happened now?" Nina shook her head, remembering what Two said if she told Papa.