II - Family Reunion

"What on Earth is that?" Number Eight said, hearing bickering voices come from the lobby of the Academy. She stomped off in the direction of the noise, leaving Pogo to his tea. Her head was still bubbling with the news that she had received, but she clearly had more important things to be dealing with. 

"Eat shit, Diego." Number Eight heard the familiar voice of Allison come from the lobby. The young girl appeared around the corner of the door, quietly, and was surprised to see Allison, Viktor and Diego standing with one another, all grown up.

"You're seriously going to defend him? After what he did?" Diego hissed, pointing his finger at the shorter boy. Number Eight rolled her eyes; despite them now being adults, they still argued like they were ten years old.

"You're seriously going to do this today? At Dad's funeral? He wrote a book, get over it

"You're seriously going to do this today? At Dad's funeral? He wrote a book, get over it." Allison uttered assertively, turning her head away from Diego.

Number Eight groaned, sick of standing by the side lines. "Here we go." She mumbled to herself before walking into the lobby. She stood directly behind the 3 adults, who were too busy arguing to actually notice that she was there. The young girl coughed dramatically.

"Eight. Oh my God-" Viktor said, his mouth opening slightly in shock. The other two borderline strangers looked at her as though they had seen a ghost. Though, she didn't blame them, she did look the sixteen-year-old that they hadn't seen in twelve years.

"Hello." Number Eight said simply, a grin crawling across her face. She adjusted the collar of her blazer around her neck as the three continued to stare at her blankly. "Okay, okay. You can stop staring. I know, I'm still a kid. It's weird."

"You're alive." Allison spoke quietly, her facial features softening and starting to form a smile.

"Why are you still a kid?" Diego asked, studying the girl's young features. She was exactly the same as how he remembered her; Chin length white hair, unnaturally blue eyes, short and feisty. She reminded him of Number Five. Diego's eyes filled with sadness as he thought about his two adoptive siblings that he had been without for so long.

"God knows, Diego. Good old Reggie was apparently trying to find a cure for me whilst I was in the coma. He must've cocked up something somewhere and I stopped ageing. My mind is 28." She shrugged her shoulders, feeling confusion emanate from everyone in the room. "So, he's dead then. Heart attack." She said, addressing the elephant in the room. There was only one reason that the estranged Hargreeves' would be in the same room, and this was it.

"I don't think it was a heart attack." Said another voice from the corner of the room. Number Eight spun around on her heels to see Luther leaning against an old bookcase. His body was hidden beneath a massive overcoat that did little to disguise his monstrous, unnatural proportions. Number Eight definitely never remembered him being that large.