XVI - Ice Cream, Anyone?

Luther drove Reginald's personalised estate car down an old, deserted highway, pulling up at the side. Number Eight sat in the back seat, staring out of the window, her eyes landing upon the arid land. Meanwhile, Number Five sat in the passenger seat beside Luther. There was an awkward and tense atmosphere in the car, with no one really knowing what to say to one another.

Number Five sighed. "You know, I never enjoyed it." He said quietly, looking at Luther.

"What? "He asked, his large body squished into the small driver's seat. It was particularly narrow as it was made for Reginald, therefore his ape body struggled to fit. His shoulders were nearly by his ears and his hands practically covered the entire steering wheel.

Number Five shrugged. "The killing. I mean, I was... I was good at my work, and I took pride in it. But it never gave me pleasure." He sighed. "I think it was all those years alone. Solitude can do funny things to the mind."

Number Eight looked at the boy, sensing his sadness. "But you weren't alone the whole time. I mean, you had Dolores, on and off. And you had an apocalyptic wedding and married your mystery woman." She said, relaying facts that Number Five had told her once before.

Number Five hummed. "Like I said, it does funny things to the mind."

"Yeah, well, you were both gone for such a long time. I only spent four years on the moon, but that was more than enough. It's the being alone that breaks you." Luther said, his voice cracking slightly. There was a moment of silence in the car whilst each member though about what they could say next. "You think they'll buy it?" Luther asked, gesturing to the briefcase that was resting by Number Five's feet.

"Well, what I do know is that they're desperate. It's like a cop losing his gun. If the Commission finds out..." Number Five was cut off.

"They'll be in deep shit?" Number Eight said from the back seat. She had leant forward into the space that was between the two front seats so that she could feel more involved in the conversation.

Number Five smirked. "Exactly. Took the words right out of my mouth. Oh, and not to mention the fact that they'll be stuck here until they get it back."

"Well, I should hold onto it." Luther said quickly.

"Hm?" Number Five and Number Eight said simultaneously.

"Just in case they make a move on either of you." He said, for once actually trying to be helpful rather than heroic.

Number Five paused for a moment, evaluating Luther's proposal in his head. "Okay, Luther, but be careful. I mean, I've lived a long life, but... she..." He stopped. "You both have your whole lives ahead of you. Don't waste it." He finished, turning his head so that he could see out of the window once again. He soon saw another car quickly coming in their direction, it's headlights flashing as it hit bumps in the road. "Here we go."

The three stepped out of the vehicle, awaiting the car to approach them. Luther held a tight grip on the briefcase handle whilst Number Five and Number Eight stood closely next to one another. The fact that they were wearing matching Umbrella Academy uniforms and had such young faces made they look deceivingly innocent.

Hazel and Cha Cha stepped out of their car, their faces once again concealed by their unusually terrifying rubber masks. Though, this time, the masks were damaged and beginning to fall apart.

"The masks really necessary?" Number Five asked, approaching the pair of assassins. Number Eight and Luther stayed behind, protecting the briefcase. Hazel and Cha Cha pulled off the masks and threw them onto the crumbling tarmac, revealing a pair of unbelievably normal looking adults.