IV - The First Fight Of The Year

Number Eight ran up the stairs, looking for the absent Number Five. She eventually found him standing in his old bedroom, staring at his old toys and books, forlorn.

"He kept all of my things." He said, his voice quiet and low. Number Eight could recognise from his emotions only that he was hurting. 

The young girl wandered behind him, wrapping her arms around him. The boy pulls away at once, flinching slightly.

"What are you doing?" Five scowled, his eyebrows in a deep furrow and the corners of his mouth turned down. Instinctively, he became defensive and placed his guard up, though he knew he shouldn't with members of his own family. Especially with Number Eight. 

"It's called a hug." Number Eight said sarcastically, squeezing the boy's body slightly harder. His tense muscles started to relax, and his facial features began to soften. Truthfully, he had missed Number Eight more than anyone, but he was struggling to show it. He always struggled to show how he felt. 

"A hug, right." He said slowly, considering.  "Look, I may have reacted...poorly, downstairs. I guess it's a side effect of fifty-two years without physical contact." He sighed, looking at Number Eight's eyes. They were curious, wondering, but also full of worry and caution. 

"What do you mean? Were you alone in the future?" She asked, tilting her head. A small grin formed across Five's face, noticing that her mannerisms were just the same as they were before he left. 

Five paused, hesitating, before choosing to ignore her question. "I read Viktor's book, you know, whilst I was out there. Found it in a public library. That's how I knew how bad things had gotten. How Ben died. How you fell into a coma." Five sighed, sitting down on the edge of his childhood bed. Number Eight placed herself down next to him, placing a hand on his shoulder. 

"I'm sorry you got stuck, and I'm sorry you had a bad time. But, I was so sad when you left, Five. So sad. Nothing was the same after that. I was alone. And then I got shot, and now here I am. You're back, just as you were before, and you're acting like nothing happened." Number Eight said, her emotions spilling out of her mouth without control. Her eyes were watering lightly, tears threatening to spill over her long eyelashes.

 Her eyes were watering lightly, tears threatening to spill over her long eyelashes

"I'm sorry I left." He replied simply, sadness lingering in his eyes. He knew how much he had hurt her; he had seen it in the future. Number Eight stared at the palms of her hands, twiddling the silver ring in between her fingers. It was something she had always done when she was feeling some sort of sadness of anxiety.

"Hm, you found my ring. The one day I didn't wear the thing was the day I got stuck for 52 years without it." Five grimaced, watching his company place the ring back on her thumb. She lifted her chin to smile at Number Five, nostalgia taking over her brain. 

"Yeah." She chuckled lightly. "I used to go into your room a lot, after you left. I kind of hoped that one day you would come back and I would just find you standing there. It's still too big for my skinny fingers, but it fits on my thumb. I've worn it every day since." Number Eight admitted. Number Five was pensive, before running his finger across the metal that wrapped around her thumb. Number Eight rarely saw Number five being so sincere and gentle. In fact, the whole conversation was a new experience for both of them; they were used to playfully bickering or racing around the Academy behind Reginald's back.