XXV - The Car Ride From Hell

Diego had stumbled into the Academy after escaping prison. He just caught them as they were about to leave the door, on the hunt for the moping Luther. "Look, I was wrongly imprisoned on suspicion of Patch's murder, but I obviously didn't do it, so everything is fine. What I'm more worried about is that fact that Allison has gone after Leonard and Viktor, alone." He explained to Klaus, Number Five and Number Eight.

"Oh shit." Number Eight sighed, shaking her head.

Number Five hummed. "We're definitely going to need Luther." He hated to admit it, but it was true.

"I think I might know where to find him." Klaus added, pointing a finger in the air. He was reminiscing on their previous drunken night out.

The four arrived at a sleazy and borderline derelict bar that seemed to be oozing the smell of stale beer from its walls. Upon walking inside, they realised that the bar was practically empty except for Luther and the bartender. Number One sat at a large table, on his own, mindlessly sipping on a fresh pint of beer.

Klaus pointed at Luther with excitement. "There! I told you. Trying a little hair of the dog, are we? Hm?" He asked as he approached the man.

Luther groaned. "Leave me alone." He said as Diego took a seat beside him.

"Give us a minute." Diego wafted his hand at the other members of the family, only infuriating Number Eight. She rolled her eyes.

"Okay. Come on. Maybe they'll brood each other to death." Klaus said, leaning a hand on the table.

Number Eight began to protest. "No, no. Anything that needs to be said to Luther can be said in front of all of us. No more splitting up; that's how you ended up in prison, Diego." Number Eight scoffed, being the only rational member of the family.

Diego squinted at Number Eight, before giving in. "Okay, whatever. Look, Dad was wrong to lie to you. To all of us." He started, but Luther was quick to interrupt with his opinion.

"Look, I did my time. All right? Four years up there, watching and waiting because he said the world needed me. Four years of nothing but soy paste and processed air because I was naive enough to believe that dads don't lie to their kids. But guess what? The joke's on me." He said bitterly, taking a swig from his glass. "I'm done. With all of it. With him. With you. With this family. You want to save the world? You go right ahead. I'm fine to sit here and finish my beer and get my... buzz on.

Diego sighed. "You want to turn your back on me? And on the guys? Then that's fair enough. But Allison deserves better than that." He knew just how to get to the root of Luther's nerves.

Number One scowled, confused. "Allison? What are you talking about?"

Number Eight grew beyond impatient and felt the need to interject. "Diego got a hold of Harold Jenkins' police file earlier today. It turns out that Viktor's boyfriend is a convicted murderer. Yeah, who would've seen that coming?" She thought aloud.

Diego couldn't help but scoff. "Yeah, a little hard to trust anyone who wears corduroy. Allison decided to go after Harold Jenkins. Alone."

Luther paused. "You guys should have led with that! Jesus Christ." He slammed his arms on the table, standing himself up with a sense of urgency. He began running out of the bar, breaking the front door in the process. The rest of the family followed closely behind him, trying their best to avoid his destructive war path.