XXVIII - She Likes Sequins

Diego groaned as he started to come around, rolling slightly across the floor. He grunted as he started to push his body off of the floor, placing a hand on the back of his head where Number Five hit him.

"Oh good, you're up!" Number Eight said, smiling at Diego. It was safe to say that she was feeling ever so slightly tipsy. "Ready for a drink?"

It took a moment for Diego to adjust, but as soon as he remembered the earlier events, he bolted upright. "Where is Hazel?"

"I let him go." Number Five said simply, straight to the point. He was holding a fresh margarita, as was Number Eight, but he was able to tolerate his drink a little better.

Diego looked at Number Five as though he had just killed a man. "You what?!"

"Now that the apocalypse is over, it's time for the fighting to stop." Number Five explained, though Diego was rebelling already. He picked up one of his knives from the ground, huffing with frustration. "Hey, he didn't kill Patch. His partner Cha Cha did."

"So what?! They were both there that night." Diego was irate, speaking his words loud and passionately, though his eyes were starting to fill with tears.

"This half of the partnership gave me both of their guns

"This half of the partnership gave me both of their guns. Which, will clear you, because the ballistics will match Patch's crime scene. Hazel came here looking for a way out. He wanted a fresh start. And he happened to have in his possession the one thing that could do our family a little good. So it's time to move on." Number Five stated as Diego simply stared at him. Their conversation was intense, meanwhile, Number Eight was humming a song and swinging her legs.

"Not a chance." Diego snapped.

Number Five simply nodded. "Suit yourself. I am curious. Your girlfriend, Patch. What did you like about her?"

Diego looked confused. "A lot of things. Cute butt. Nice legs." He mumbled.

Number Five leant against the bar, beside Number Eight. She hiccuped. "Anything a little more profound than that?"

"Shut up, I'm sure you feel the same about little miss drunkard over there." Diego scoffed, gesturing his eyes towards Number Eight.

She gasped dramatically, her head feeling slightly fuzzy. "Hey! I have a cute butt and nice legs." She pulled a face at Diego, before looking at Number Five for reassurance. He nodded at her, giving her a small wink.

Diego sighed. "Patch believed in people. No matter how much shit or filth she saw on the streets. She always saw the good inside." He said, his face tense and frowning.

"Well, I'm sure she'll be proud to know that you're killing Hazel and Cha Cha as a way to honour her memory." Number Five said, before taking Number Eight's hand and leaving the room, leaving Diego.

"Shit." Diego mumbled to himself, knowing that Number Five was right.

***

"What are we doing back here? Don't tell me we're grabbing another mannequin." Number Eight said as she followed Number Five down one of the aisles at the Gimbel Brothers department store. Yet again, Number Five was acting sly and not telling her anything. "Are we grabbing another mannequin?"