XXIV - Confessions Over Cheap Coffee

"Here we go. That'll fix you." Klaus sighed, pouring coffee into the porcelain mug that he was holding. Klaus had called Luther, Number Five and Number Eight for a 'vital' family meeting, though nobody knew what it was about. Luther was borderline keeled over the table, grasping the cup as though his life depended on it. His eyes were tired and bloodshot and a sweat was beginning to break on his forehead. Before Luther could take a sip of his coffee, it was snatched out of his hands by Number Five.

"What the hell is going on with monkey boy here?" Asked Number Five, before taking a sip of the coffee. His face immediately contorted. "Jesus. Who do I have to kill to get a decent cup of coffee?" He grimaced.

 Who do I have to kill to get a decent cup of coffee?" He grimaced

Luther groaned. "Can we get started?"

"Yes! But before we start, has anyone seen any of the others? Diego? Allison? No? Also, you are quiet, little Number Eight. How are you?" Klaus asked.

Number Eight was staring into space, struggling to focus on what anyone was saying. Her eyes travelling towards Klaus, who she smirked at sarcastically. "Married. That's how I am. I'm married. And I'm a mother!"

Klaus and Luther looked at her blankly. "A mother?" Asked Luther, his voice scratched.

"She's not yet." Number Five interrupted. "She's okay. She just received a lot of news today, think she's started to process it." He explained, patting his hand on Number Eight's arm supportively.

Number Eight hummed. "Mhm. Yeah. What the husband said." She lifted her mug and took a large gulp of the coffee, feeling desperate for the coffee. Both her and Number Five had changed into their Umbrella Academy embroidered pyjamas as their everyday uniforms were uncomfortable on their wounds. Luther and Klaus soon realised that Number Five had told Number Eight about their marriage, but they knew nothing about a child.

"All right, then, this is the closest thing to a quorum that we're going to get." Klaus slammed his fist down on the table, causing Luther to wince at the loud noise. He was clearly hungover. "Now, listening up. There's no easy way to say this, so I'm just going to spit it out..." He paused, leaving the family in suspense.

"Klaus." Luther prompted, lacking much patience or tolerance.

"I conjured Dad last night." He replied simply, flailing a spatula in the air.

Number Eight frowned. "You said you haven't been able to conjure anyone in years." She was pessimistic.

Klaus clapped his hands together. "Ah, yes, I know, but I'm sober. Ta-da!" He waved his hands. "I got clean, yesterday, to talk to someone special, and then ended up having this... conversation with dear old Daddy himself." Klaus looked beside him to an empty chair, scowling. "No, Ben, not you. Yes you're special but you're not who I meant!" Little did the family know that Ben was sitting beside Klaus with his hood up, scowling at Number Four.

Luther looked at Klaus vacantly, before looking between the teenagers. "Has anyone got some aspirin?"

Number Five replied quickly, brushing down his blue pyjamas. "Top shelf, next to the crackers."