XII - A Ruthless Little War Machine

"Funny. If I didn't know they were such pricks,  I'd say they look almost adorable
in their sleep." Diego said, gesturing to Number Five and Number Eight who were curled up in his bed. They had made it back to Diego's backroom at the gym without another episode of drunken vomiting, so they couldn't exactly complain.

"Well, don't worry. They'll sober up eventually. Be back to their normal, unpleasant selves." Luther said, sitting down on an old, rickety chair in the corner of the room.

Diego sighed. "Yeah, I can't wait that long. You think they're going to be the new Luther and Allison?" He said, noticing how the two were laying. Number Five had an arm behind Number Eight's neck, and her arm was slung across his torso. Luther and Diego hadn't put them to bed this way; they had sleepily cuddled up all on their own.

Luther stuttered, confused

Luther stuttered, confused. "W-what do you mean? Luther and Allison? Pft. I don't know what you're talking about." He stammered, feeling awkward.

"Oh come on, man. Don't play dumb. Everyone knew that you two had a thing, and everyone still does. It looks like these two lovers are following in your footsteps. I mean, look at them." Diego said, referring to the fact that Number Five had just smushed his cheek against the top of Number Eight's head. Luther felt his face flush as his romance with Allison was brought up, knowing that he still felt that way about her, but she had been married since.

"I need to find out what Five's connection is with these lunatics before someone else dies. And why is he involving Number Eight?" Diego said.

"All that stuff he was saying before... What do you think he meant by that?" Luther asked, his expression almost gormless.

As he asked, Number Eight and Number Five began to stir. Number Eight groaned as the bright light reached her eyes, causing her head to throb.

"Ugh. Five, why did you let me drink that much?" She whined, opening her eyes fully. She was surprised to see that she was entangled in a cuddle with Number Five. She wasn't exactly sure how to approach the situation.

Number Five unwrapped his arms from around her and sat upright, his hair messy and his tie hanging loosely from his neck. "Sorry, love." He said groggily, before turning his attention to Luther and Diego. "Oh hey guys."  

Soon, Al, the owner of the gym, came stomping into Diego's back room. "Diego, some lady called for you, said she needs your help. Some, uh, detective. I think she said her name was, uh, Blotch or something." He said, a small belch escaping his lips as he spoke. Number Eight winced. Her head was sore.

Diego's eyes widened. "Patch. She needs my help." Immediately his hero complex came into light.

"She needs you to meet her at that motel, a dump on Calhoun. Though, she needed you about half an hour ago. Uh, said she found your brother." Al continued, causing Diego and Luther to frown in confusion.