VIII - Tummy's A-Rublin

Number Eight, Number Five and Klaus sat slumped on the steps outside MeriTech Prosthetics. Number Five was buzzing with nervous energy, his foot tapping on the concrete floor and his knee shaking slightly.

"Well, this is not good." Number Eight said, making a point of the elephant in the room. Everyone was thinking the same thing, but she was always the one to say it.

Klaus chuckled, before gasping dramatically. "I was pretty good, though, right? Yeah, what about my consent, bitch?" He continued to laugh at his own story.

"Klaus, it doesn't matter." Number Five stood up, his face miserable and his foot still tapping. Number Eight could tell that he was agitated; he needed a plan to work.

"What? What? What's the bid deal with this eye, anyway?" Asked Klaus, stroking the material of his striped trousers on his thighs.

"There is someone out there who's going to lose an eye in the next seven days." Number Five started to explain, but Klaus continued to look lost.

"Basically Klaus, they're going to bring about the end of life on this Earth as we know it." Number Eight explained in simpler terms, hoping that Klaus would understand what their plan had revolved around this whole time.

Klaus pondered for a few seconds, his eyes squinting slightly as he focused. "Yeah, can I get that twenty bucks, like, now? Or what?" He asked, completely ignoring the impending end of the world.

"Your twenty bucks?" Number Eight asked, unable to take him seriously.

"Yeah, my twenty bucks." He confirmed, nodding his head and stroking his short goatee.

Number Five shook his head in disbelief. "The apocalypse is coming, and all you can think about it getting high?" He questioned, moving closer to Klaus. Despite being a teenager and an old man all in one, he had quite significant anger and patience issues.

Klaus paused, formulating his response. "Well, I'm also quite hungry." Small shards of glass continued to fall out of his hair as he moved. "Tummy's a-rublin'." He imitated the sound of his stomach groaning.

Number Five and Number Eight stood beside one another, both looking vacantly at Klaus

"You're useless." Number Five scowled at Klaus. "You're all useless!" He started to walk away, his arms in the air.

Number Eight gasped dramatically, scoffing and rolling her eyes. "Hey, don't bring me into this! I've helped you, you asshole!" She yelled at him, drawing attention from people passing by. She simply waved at them, a sarcastic smile on her face.

"Come on, Five. You need to lighten up, old man." Klaus said, following Number Five who had sat down on some stairs at the edge of a communal park. "Hey, you know, I've just now realized why you're so uptight. You must be horny as hell!" He laughed, earning a mean stare from Number Five. "All those years by yourself, not even having little miss here to cheer you up, if you know what I mean."