Chapter 50: Base Work

AMY POV

It was just a normal day like no other. Eh, who am I kidding? It's never been normal. It's just with the loss of Acro and Prinz Eugen, it has been even less normal. Every search party that I send out to find them ends up empty handed. Why'd it have to be him? It could have been me...But the higher ups had different plans. They really thought it was a good idea to send a high schooler into military operations. What was going through their minds? I was perfectly compatible with the wisdom cube and yet they still denied access to letting me use it.

I know that I should just accept it but something's telling me that he is still out there somewhere. So I'm gonna do everything in my power to find him. Not just for the sake of me but for the sake of everybody. 

All that aside, I began my day as usual. Well, the new usual. Things like washing my face and brushing my teeth. As any admiral would do, I began to make my usual rounds around the base to check if everything was in order. When I arrived at the plaza, there was a crowd of people looking at the centre of the plaza.

"Hey Cleveland, what's happening?" I asked the closest person that I could see.

"Dunno, there's some kind of portal opening up over there." Cleveland shrugged.

"What!?" I wasted no time in rushing through the crowd to get a better look at the portal that had opened up. In the middle of the crowd, there was a purple oval shaped portal that stood in front of the water fountain. "Everybody, stay back. There may be something dangerous on the other side of the portal. Be on guard."

Everyone did as I said and took a few steps back and summoned their riggings. For what felt like an eternity, we all stood there staring at the portal. But the wait was soon over as two people came through the portal. One had a black hoodie that he wore, while the other had a tattered black scarf around her neck. As they walked out of the portal, they looked around the area very confused. However, those two people weren't enemies...They were far from it.

"Acro?" I whispered shakily.

The person who wore the black hoodie turned around to look at me. And just by looking at his face solidified my suspicions. After about a month of disappearing, Acro and Prinz Eugen were both back here just fine. 

"Amy?" Acro gave me a relieved chuckle. "She really wasn't lying."

"Geez, what would you have done if she'd just send us to their higher ups? Huh?" Prinz Eugen said in a stern voice.

"A-Acro...Prinz Eugen? Are you two really there?" Everyone that was seeing this scene stayed silent as to not ruin this moment.

"Heh, yep. You think getting sent to the siren world would kill me." He gave me a proud smile.

"Ah, I just..." I took a small inhale. "You both are telling me what happened. Got it." 

"Yeah, I was already planning on that." Acro had a slight pause. "But can we hold that off for a bit.  I kinda just wanna see everyone again. Please, it's been so long."

"Yes, of course you can do that. You just gotta write a report about it." I embraced him in a tight embrace. "Please don't go disappearing on us again. Okay."

"Heh, no promises." He gave me a pat on the back. 

"Alright, you can go now."

"Admiral, I'm gonna follow Acro." Prinz Eugen followed Acro as he walked off into his dorm.

ACRO POV

After so long, we're finally back home. Honestly, I feel bad that I didn't really get to say goodbye to Maiko and Hisoka but that's just how it is when you are a part of this kind of job.