Chapter 20: One-Night Stands

A short drive later, filled with me trying to remember the directions to The Milkshake Shack, we finally arrive and get a table.

The lady that worked there, Penny, greeted us at the door.

"Gigi!" She chirped. "Where have you been? I've been expecting you! Come, take a seat at your usual table!" She directs us to my favorite table by the window.

Her blonde head bobbed as she smiled at me and then assessed Ash who was taking a seat in front of me. 

"And, who's this?" She raises her eyebrows at me funnily.

"This is..."

My friend? My love interest? My crush?

"Ash." I smile in his direction.

"Nice to meet you." He smiles gorgeously. 

She smiles hugely back. "You too. You look heaps better than her previous man. You upgraded for sure, Gigi!"

I smile forcefully. "No, we're friends. Maia likes his younger brother." I glance at Ash, but he smirks, enjoying seeing me flustered. "We're working together to bring them together."

Penny just smiles. "Of course, dear." Her 40-year-old self probably enjoyed a little teenage drama. "One second please, kids."

She turns around and greets another couple by the door. After she gets them a table, she brings menus to us.

"What can I get you?" She beams.

"My usual, please." I smile softly when I notice Ash looking intensely at the menu. Unfortunately, my secret smile does not go unnoticed by Penny. 

"And you, handsome?" She compliments.

"I'll have the pancakes with chocolate chips." He points to the menu.

"Any milkshake? We're famous for them." Penny winks.

He looks at me. "Recommend anything?"

I blush a little and look down at the menu, pretending to scan it. "The blueberry milkshake, maybe?"

He smirks and his eyes don't leave mine as he orders. "A blueberry milkshake it is, please."

Penny grins from ear to ear. "Coming right up." She starts walking away but then turns back to us. "Oh, and try not to jump each other's bones while I leave." She winks, while I look horrified, and walks away.

I am blushing fully now. "Sorry about her. She's impossible."

He smirks. "I don't know. She gave pretty good advice." 

I roll my eyes. "You wish," I mutter.

He hears it though because of course he does. "I do wish." He looks into my eyes.

I hear my heartbeat in my ears. 

He wishes? Does that mean he wants to? Because I want to.

I really want to.

Snapping out of my thoughts, I look at the table. "Penny's great. She's been like a second mom to me." 

His hot smirk transforms into a cute smile, his face softening. "How long have you known her for?"

"Before I started college my family decided to take a trip here over a week while I was checking out colleges nearby, and we regularly came here. My mom became friends with Penny. We were her favorites. She loves me and Maia."

"I'm sure she does." He glances at my lips swiftly before returning to my eyes.

I laugh softly. "Yeah, and then after I moved here, I came here all the time. I've introduced her to my friends, and Maia comes and sees her too. Penny knows all the tea."