Chapter 23: Prom Night

With me and Maia in the backseat, we arrive at the high school.

It is bustling with people, girls in puffy princess dresses and handsome boys in suits, everyone looking glamorous.

There are people everywhere, and as we walk in, I feel eyes on us.

Maia was pretty popular, having lots of friends. Aaron was more popular though, being sporty and smart, he knew the nerds and the jocks. He clapped hands with a guy as we walked in, and Maia hugged a few girls. 

I and Ash walked into the arch covered in heart balloons, keeping a little distance from our siblings. I wanted to get this over with. Lots of boys were checking me out, probably because I was wearing an elegant but skimpy dress, clearly a little older than them. 

I feel Ash's hand snake around my waist, and I turn to glare at him. "What?" 

"Showing them what's mine." He smirks down at me.

"I'm not yours." I snap.

"I know. I'm pretending you are just for tonight. It's a favor. These high school boys would be killing each other to come and talk to you. If they see you with another guy, let alone me, they'll back off. Trust me."

"Oh, please, who's going to approach me? They're harmless." I wink at a boy as we walk past the crowd, and Ash scowls at the boy, squeezing his hand just a little firmer around my waist.

Hot. Hot. Hot.

No! Not hot.

Hot.

Okay, maybe a little.

"Wait until they're surrounding you like sharks." He glares at me.

I smirk back. "Then you can come and save me." I throw his arm off and walk in the direction of the bar, or what was close to one, knowing full well that Ash's hangry eyes were on me.

Because this was full of underage kids, I probably couldn't get a drink. I had only just turned 18, not far from the age these kids were. 

Luckily, the bartender was a boy. 

Time to bring out the inner flirt in me.

"Hey." I stand in front of him, leaning on the counter, my back to him.

He gazes at me, and I realize that he is older than me, probably by 2 years.

His eyes scan my body, and he grins. "Hi."

"Busy night? I just got here." I smile.

"I know. I would've seen you if I had known you were here before." 

I want to cringe at how obvious I am being, which is making him painfully obvious.

"And I, of course, headed straight to the drinks. Didn't know I'd meet a cute bartender." I laugh, my fake bubbly laugh, not my loud funny one, and turn around, leaning my elbows on the table.

The pervert's eyes travel lower than my eyes, looking at my lips, then my neck, then my chest. I regret wearing a V-neck because it is making me feel uncomfortable, but I can use this to my advantage.

"Cute, huh?" His eyes twinkle grossly.

Ew.

He had wet-looking hair, slicked with too much gel, and his shirt, which was plain black, looked unflattering on him. Which was crazy because black can look good on anyone. He had bloodshot eyes and thin, leering lips.

"Well, cute now, but maybe after a few drinks, you'll become hot." I bite my lip. 

Yeah, that was a sugarcoated insult, but he didn't notice, blinded by lust.