xvi. compelling

˗ˏˋ⋆ H E A V E N L Y ⋆ˎˊ˗↳  𝒙𝒗𝒊

↳  𝒙𝒗𝒊. 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒑𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒈
𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘸𝘰𝘭𝘧, 𝘴𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘸𝘰

(𝔙𝔢𝔫𝔬𝔪𝔬𝔲𝔰)

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

          SCOTT WAS HOPING TO CONVINCE DEREK TO BACK OFF WHEN HE MET Boyd on the field.

"I want to talk to Derek," Scott told him.

Boyd shook his head. "Talk to me."

"I don't want to fight."

"Good, 'cause I'm twice the size of you," Boyd looked the beta up and down, standing several inches taller than him.

"True," Scott nodded, realizing that fact even more as he looked him up and down. "Really, really true. But you wanna know what I think? I'm twice as fast."

Scott lunged towards him and Boyd took a swing at him. Ducking under, Scott ran into him, throwing him into the ground. He rose back up as Boyd scrambled to his feet. Scott practically jumped when he turned and Derek was there.

"She failed the test," he pointed out with his hands in his pockets.

"Yeah, which doesn't prove anything," Scott insisted. "Lydia's different."

"I know, at night she turns into a homicidal walking snake."

"I'm not going to let you kill her," Scott said firmly with an obvious glint of seriousness in his eyes.

Derek chuckled, looking back at Boyd, who shared an amused look with the alpha.

"Who said I was gonna do it?" The alpha emphasized, turning back to Scott. "I don't know why you think you have to protect everyone now, Scott, but even so, Lydia has killed people and she's gonna do it again, and next time, it's gonna be one of us."

"What if you kill her and you're wrong, Derek?"

"She was bitten by an Alpha. It's her."

"You saw that thing up close. You know it's not like us," Scott reminded him.

"But it is! We're all shapeshifters," Derek told him. "You don't know what you're dealing with. It happens rarely and it happens for a reason."

Scott narrowed his eyes at him. "What reason?"

"Sometimes the shape you take reflects the person that you are," Derek explained. "Some people just aren't who they really seem."

Scott shook his head. "Well, what if she's immune? What if she's got something inside of her that makes her immune to the bite, which is why she didn't get paralyzed?"