xxiii. is there still hope?

˗ˏˋ⋆ H E A V E N L Y ⋆ˎˊ˗↳  𝒙𝒙𝒊𝒊𝒊

↳ 𝒙𝒙𝒊𝒊𝒊.   𝒊𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒉𝒐𝒑𝒆?
𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘸𝘰𝘭𝘧, 𝘴𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘦𝘦

(𝔐𝔬𝔱𝔢𝔩 ℭ𝔞𝔩𝔦𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔫𝔦𝔞)

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

          WITH THE FLARE IN HIS HAND, SCOTT DIDN'T MOVE AT ALL, HIS HEAD bowed toward the pavement beneath his feet, as they approached him quietly, nervously. 

Gracie glanced at Stiles and when she saw the stricken look on his face, gripped his hand tightly.

Taking a deep breath, she spoke up, hoping that she could get through to Scott, "Scott?"

The wolf didn't answer.

Gracie let go of Stiles' hand as she took a step forward. "Scott." 

Scott lifted his head, looking at his friends with sad, yet faraway eyes. "There's no hope." 

Gracie bit the inside of her cheek at the sheer pain in Scott's voice, her heart breaking a little. Sure, her and Scott weren't the best of friends, but they were still friends. Gracie didn't want to see Scott end his life, not just for his sake, but for the people who loved and cared about him.

"What do you mean, Scott?" Allison shook her head, eyes wet. "There's always hope."

Gracie just wished that Scott would listen to her for once so that he wasn't in danger. Derek was not dead. She knew it. She could feel it. He didn't need to carry around any guilt, especially for something that might've not even happen.

"Derek wasn't your fault," she said sternly, trying to reach some part of his mind. "What happened to Derek was not your fault, Scott."

"Every time I try to fight back, it just gets worse," Scott said. "People keep getting hurt. People keep getting killed." 

"Scott, listen to me, okay?" Stiles addressed his friend, his voice cracking with sadness. "This isn't you, all right? This is someone inside your head telling you to do this, okay? Now––" 

"––What if it isn't?" Scott cut him off. "What if it is just me? What if doing this is actually the best thing that I could do for everyone else? It all started that night." Scott looked into Stiles' eyes as he went on. "The night I got bitten. You remember the way it was before that? You and me, we were—we were nothing. We weren't popular, we weren't good at lacrosse. We weren't important...We were no one. Maybe I should just be no one again. No one at all." 

He lifted the flare higher, intending to release it.

Gracie looked over at Stiles as he released the tight grip he had on her hand. He had tears in his eyes as he stepped toward his best friend.