Chapter 20

It was Friday the past few days were just a repeat. Me not eating much, school, Jameson flirting, Grayson being protective, Michael being my boyfriend, Drake being there at the gate and making public announcements, Avery freaking out, Nash and Libby, Xander coming back from school burnt and bleeding, would you rather in the car and Jameson and Avery playing the game left for us. I chose not to play anymore, I didn't need any more drama. I was hanging out with Xander because he is nice and doesn't want me. I went to see him today.

"Hey Xan"

"You are here! I didn't know if you were coming."

"I would always be here"

"Good. So what is it today? I have some suggestions. Scone eating, inventing, and gossiping."

"That sounds great but, I feel that I need to show you my letter."

"Ok"

I showed him the letter and he looked as confused as Jameson and Avery had been. 

Dearest Amber,

You are a bigger mystery than your sister. Old I get with regrets. Undercover. Remember your past. For everything now I'm sorry. Always know your roots. They will help you. Hawthorne or not we are strong. Everything will make sense. Regardless of the situation think about the future.

T.H.

"Why does it say that?"

"What do you mean?"

"It shouldn't say that."

"Then what should it say?"

"I can't tell you."

"What can't you tell me? We are best friends. You can tell me anything."

"I wrote the letters with him. You were meant to get the same thing as your sister. I don't understand what is the old man hiding?"

"You wrote them with him?"

"Yeah. I wasn't meant to tell anyone."

"It is ok. I don't want to play this game."

"Can you keep a secret?"

I nodded.

"I am meant to see to it that Jameson and Grayson play this game so that they become friends again and that at least one of you play along as well. It was a final game."

"Did you know he was sick?"

"He told me during the last game we played while he was still alive. He was sick and would die soon and he wanted me to make sure that the game is played."

"Why you?"

"My brothers played the game Grayson and Jameson would partner up and doublecross each other at the end and Nash would always beat them. But I didn't play I would share scones with the old man and chat with him. He loved chatting."

"I didn't know."

"It doesn't matter. We need to figure out why your letter is different."

"Later. We could eat scones and gossip. I don't think that I would be any good at inventing."

We talked, laughed, and gossiped while eating some scones. It was fun the most fun I had had in a long time. I noticed someone standing in the hallway. Grayson. I ignored him but I looked back up and realized he was smiling. I didn't want to ruin it by noticing him. I continued talking to Xander about the teacher. Grayson was happy to see his brother having fun. Had Xander been upset? I didn't think so, but he might've.

I laughed hard at what Xander said about a girl in his class that I fell off the couch. But I only laughed at it. Xander held out a hand, I took it and sat back down. I looked at Grayson for a second and gave him a small smile he smiled back. I had never seen Grayson so happy.

Xander looked behind him and saw Grayson standing in the hallway.

"Hi Gray"

"Xan, Ms. Grambs"

"Can we help you with something?"

"No nothing at all"

"Do you have any gossip to share?"

"I don't do gossip"

"Of course you do," I said joining their conversation.

"I used to but I don't anymore."

"I'm sure you have something you want to say."

"Come on gossip with us!"

"Have some fun for once Gray."

"I have nothing to share"

"Then twist the truth to make it fun"

Grayson nodded I didn't know if he even could have fun. He came and sat down beside me. Great I thought. More Hawthornes. He shared a few times and gave a few smiles and sounds of laughter held in. But he beamed a few times and tried to hide it. We talked about everything and I even saw Oren smiling at the door. Was he smiling about the gossip or the fact that Grayson was having fun?

Xander went to get some more scones from another table and brought them back he put them on the coffee table and jumped onto the couch. He did it with such force it sent me flying and I landed with my head on Grayson's lap. Oh no. I opened my eyes and forced a small smile.

"Sorry"

I got up and pushed Xander who was eating his scone with great speed. 

"What was that for?"

"Jumping on the couch" he then pushed me and I was pushed into Grayson. I felt the heat of Grayson's body on mine. I blushed. Grayson was unharmed but he pushed me into Xander who was eating another scone.

"Why did you push me again?"

"It wasn't me it was Grayson"

"I'll get you back!" He pushed me into Grayson. There I was again with his body next to mine and then Grayson glared at Xander. I looked behind me at the doorway and I saw Jameson walking away. Watching us probably hurt his feelings and I was being pushed into his brothers. Then I remembered that I had a boyfriend. Why was I forgetting about him?

"Yeesh I am sorry but I warned you."

Grayson looked at his watch.

"As much as this was fun. I better get going." Grayson said

"Yeah me too," I said

"Ok... we missed dinner."

"We did?"

"Well we ate enough scones that it was our dinner"

"Yeah. Grayson, you didn't eat much..." I turned around and Grayson was already gone.

"Well, I guess he will be fine. If I know my brother which I do he will survive."

"Let's do this again sometime."

"Ok"

"See you"

"See you"

I walked out of the doorway and Xander grabbed my wrist. What was it with wrist grabbing and Hawthornes?

"What's wrong?"

"Don't tell anyone"

"Of course not"

I walked away and I thought about going to Avery's room but I heard Grayson and Jameson talking. I tried listening in.