Chapter 6: GRACELYNN POV

Chris was no longer on the couch when I got out of bed around noon. I had two missed texts from Ruby, telling me to meet her at Bad Crumbs in half an hour. I took a quick shower before braiding my wet hair and slipping on a sundress. I grabbed my purse and denim jacket before heading out the door.

I walked to Bad Crumbs and texted Chris. He rarely would tell me where he was or who he was with. I just prayed that he would be home soon.

When I got to the cafe, Ruby was sitting at a table. Her phone was in her hands and her mug was on the table. She looked at me and I waved. I bought a cappuccino with fancy foam art and then sat down across from her.

"So I heard a little rumour last night," Ruby said as I sat down.

"What did Diamond do this time?" I asked.

Ruby furrowed her brows and shook her head.

"No not that bitch," she said. "Let's not mention her name. It's about you."

"Me?" I asked.

She nodded and leaned in across the table. I leaned in closer so that I could hear her whisper.

"Did you get the Ira McEwan kicked out last night?" she asked.

"News travels fast," I said.

Ruby's eyes went wide. She leaned back in the chair. Her jaw was hanging open.

"I had to," I said. "He was too interested in me. You know what that could have meant."

"Gio is going to be furious," she said.

I waved my hand to dismiss her concerns.

"I don't want to keep talking about work," I said.

"Okay." She straightened in her seat. "I have a date tonight."

"Where did you meet him?" I asked.

"Flirtley."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes.

"He's only going to want to fuck you," I said. "You might as well be at the club."

"There are some really good guys on there," she said.

"Where?" I asked. "I can't find any."

Ruby held her hand out and curled her fingers in and out.

"I want to see your profile," she said. "Maybe you just need some help."

I reached into my purse and pulled out my phone. I opened up the app before sliding the phone across the table. She picked it up and her brows raised.

"How come I didn't realize your name is Gracelynn until now?" she asked.

I shrugged. "We never say our real names."

"Well, my real name is Amelia."

"I'm still going to call you Ruby."

She giggled. She swiped her thumb across the screen as she analyzed my profile. I sipped at my cappuccino as I watched her.

"It's too basic," she said. "Your photos are really nice, but there is nothing in your profile."

"What am I supposed to write?" I asked. "The truth doesn't sound good. What do I call myself? A dancer?"

"There's more to you than just your work. Maybe you are just liking the wrong guys."

Ruby set the phone down on the table and started swiping through profiles. I looked at the phone upside down. The first picture was of a guy named Gary. His first picture was of him on a boat holding a fish.

"Okay, Gary is a fish guy," Ruby said. "That's a definite no."

She disliked the profile. The next man showed up. It was a man named Richard who was fifty years old. Ruby rolled her eyes.

"Seriously?" she asked. "What are your standards for yourself? Lower the age range."

"What?" I asked. "He's a daddy."

"You're twenty-five," she said. "Thirty-five should be your max. Anything above that and it is just based on sex. Which you made clear is not what you want."

She disliked the profile. Our next victim was Steve. There were no pictures of a man, but just pictures of a silver Mustang.

"Okay, you are not going to date a car," she said. "Next."

She swiped her finger across the screen. A smile grew across Ruby's face. She picked up the phone and held it closer to her face.

"Oh, this one is a cutie," she said.

"Let me see," I said.

I held my hand out and she passed me my phone. The man's profile we were on was named Ash. He was lean and tall with dark features. He had a picture of him in a Christmas sweater in front of a tree with a Chihuahua. Another photo was of him with a beer in his hand down by the lake. The next picture was of him at a baseball game with his hat on backward.

"He's cute," I said. "He probably goes to church and spends his free time volunteering. He probably reads to the blind in his free time."

"You seriously think this man is a saint?" Ruby asked. "He's probably hiding secrets."

"He'd run away if he knew the truth about me."

"Then don't tell him the truth. Pretend you are just as wholesome and good as you think he is."

I sucked in my bottom lip as I stared at the baseball picture. I zoomed in on it to see that he had a scar running through his left eyebrow. He was attractive and he looked so laid back. He seemed like the kind of man any girl could have a good time with.

"How long do you think I could keep that up?" I asked. "He'll wonder why I only work like three nights a week. What do I say if he asks about Chris?"

"I don't know, but you're a good actress," Ruby said. "Try it out."

I liked the profile and a notification popped up that we were a match. I turned the phone to show Ruby the message. She smiled and winked at me.

"Go text him," she said.

"What do I say?" I asked.

"Just say hello," she said. "Ask him about his day. Keep it simple."

I nodded and typed out a quick message.

Gracelynn: Hey. How is your day?

I turned the phone back around to show Ruby. She nodded in approval.

"I doubt he will respond," I said.

"Be more optimistic," she said. "He may be your knight in shining armor."

"And what is he saving me from?"

"Are you happy with your life?"

I sighed. I stared at the screen and wondered if he would respond. If he did, how long would he continue to talk to me? Would he turn the conversation to sex?

I tucked my phone away and took another sip of my drink.

"So, tell me about your Flritley guy," I asked.