Chapter 17: ASH POV

I could not figure out what I did to make Gracelynn cry. I saw a single tear escape her eye, and then she clung to my shirt as she let out soft sobs that she couldn't hold back. I did not know how to comfort her, so I just rubbed her back. What was I even supposed to say to her? I rubbed her back until her breathing turned rhythmic, and her grip loosened on my shirt. I looked down at her to see her eyes were closed. She must be asleep.

I looked at the screen to see the movie I had put on was still playing. The remote sat on the coffee table next to Gracelynn's wine glass. There was no way that I could turn down the volume without waking her up. I didn't want loud scenes in the movie to wake her.

I did not watch the movie. I was too busy staring down at Gracelynn. I smiled, thinking that she was comfortable enough around me to fall asleep on my chest, especially when she was crying. She probably won't feel safe around me when she knows the truth about me being a killer. She was going to find out, though, because she would most likely watch me murder someone while going for Diablo's Heart.

I watched Gracelynn. My eyes were heavy by the time the credits rolled onto the screen. My muscles were relaxed, and my mind was clear because of having Gracelynn in my arms. I may actually even sleep tonight. I needed to keep her in my arms all night.

I ran my fingers through Gracelynn's dark hair. She stirred but did not wake. I brushed the back of my knuckles across her cheek. She let out a soft groan as her eyes barely opened.

"Let's go to bed," I said.

Gracelynn rubbed the heel of her hand into her eyes in an attempt to wake up. I let out a slight chuckle. She looked so adorable.

"I should go home," she said.

"You're way too tired to get home safely," I said.

I wrapped my arms around Gracelynn and stood us on our feet. Gracelynn yawned. Her eyes were barely open. I laced my fingers through hers and pulled her toward my bedroom. Her feet shuffled as she continued to rub her eyes.

"Are you mad we didn't have sex?" she asked.

I froze. She seriously thought that I would be mad at her? What have men done to her in that disgusting club? How long has she been doing this? I wanted to kill every man that ever paid to touch her.

"Of course not, sweetheart," I said.

Gracelynn stumbled as I pulled her forward. I leaned down and picked her up. I curled her into my chest and carried her over to my bedroom. I was glad I had not made my bed, as it was easier to set her down and tuck the blankets around her. She rolled onto her side and let out a deep breath before falling asleep.

I changed out of my clothes. I thought about climbing into bed without a shirt. I never wore a shirt to sleep, but I did not want Gracelynn to see my scars. I don't want her to know, and I don't want to have to explain. I pulled a shirt on before crawling into the bed.

I wrapped my arm around Gracelynn and pulled her into my chest. I took in a deep breath of her sweet perfume. I hoped my sheets would smell like her for the next few days.

For the first time since I was a teenager, I did not struggle to fall asleep.

--

When I woke up, my arms were empty. I reached across the bed, but my fingers grazed across the cool sheets. I opened my eyes to see Gracelynn sitting on the foot of the bed. She was wearing her wine-stained dress. She was bending down and fastening the straps of her heels. I sat up and pushed myself down the bed. She jumped when I touched her shoulder.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"I really have to get going," she said. "I shouldn't have stayed the night."

Was she leaving already? Would she have left the apartment without me knowing if I did not wake up? What did I do to scare her off?

I kissed her bare shoulder and wrapped my arm around her waist. I pulled her into me and trailed my lips up to her neck. She sighed and rolled her head to the side to grant me more access to her soft skin. I brought my lips up to her ear.

"You should stay," I whispered.

Gracelynn shook her head and pulled my arms off her waist. She stood and turned to face me.

"I have never spent the night at a man's house," she said. "That's a rule of mine."

I raised a brow.

"A rule?" I asked. "Are you treating me like I am one of the men that buy you?"

Gracelynn let out a deep breath. She closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose. Her mind was racing. Would she start crying again?

"I'm sorry," she said.

"We went on a first date, Gracelynn," I said. "Well, a second date, but let's call this our first. You don't owe me anything. I did not purchase you."

Gracelynn smiled. I motioned for her to lie back down, but she shook her head.

"I really do have to go," she said. "My phone is dead, and I need to know if my brother needs me or if the hospital calls."

"Why would the hospital call you?" I asked.

Gracelynn hesitated and bit down on her lip. I shouldn't have asked. I overstepped my boundaries and was being too invasive.

"I am driving you home," I said.

I threw the blankets off me and stood.

"I can take a taxi," she said.

"I am driving you," I said.

Gracelynn did not argue with me. I grabbed my clothes and headed to the bathroom. I changed into jeans and a T-shirt. When I came back, Gracelynn was not in the bedroom. She was standing by the front door. She was eager to leave. What the hell did I do?

I pulled my jacket on and grabbed my keys. I did not want to give her up, but I knew she wanted to return home. Why would the hospital be calling her?

We went down to the garage and climbed into my car. Gracelynn was combing her tangled hair with her fingers. She looked over at me and furrowed her brows.

Crap, I was staring at her.

"What?" she asked.

"You look gorgeous," I said. "Not many girls can pull off that look."

She rolled her eyes before leaning back in the seat. I pulled out of the garage and drove to her apartment. I usually would speed, but I was driving like a grandma because I did not want to say goodbye to Gracelynn.

She unclicked her seatbelt when I pulled up to the front of her building. I reached and put my hand on her bare knee. She sucked in her bottom lip and avoided eye contact as she thought. When she looked up, she had a faint smile.

"I'm sorry for treating you like one of those men at the club," she said. "It's hard to think I have a purpose other than sex."

Why did we have to be in a car? Could she not have told me this at my apartment? I wanted to take her in my arms and comfort Gracelynn. Her statement broke my heart.

"You have lots to give this world," I said. "Quit that club."

I had to try one more time. I hated to see her working there. My eyes went wide when she nodded.

"I'll quit," she said. "I have enough saved to last until we get that gem."

"I can give you money in the meantime," I said.

"I don't want your money."

I nodded. Gracelynn grabbed my arm before leaning forward to kiss me. Her soft lips were heavenly. I could kiss her all day. No girl has ever done this to me before. She giggled as she pulled away.

"I get to see you again soon?" I asked.

"Yes," she said. "Text me."

Without saying goodbye, she left my car. I watched her as she walked into her building. My lips tingled, and I closed my eyes. I hit the steering wheel out of frustration.

Being around Gracelynn was terrific, but it would make me weak. I did not have the power in me to break things off. This better not blow up in my face.