Chapter 16: GRACELYNN POV

I had severe doubts that Ash was not expecting sex when we got to his apartment. He was probably only saying that to stop me from going home. I should have gone home to change, but I did not want this night to end.

Ash pulled into the garage of a high-rise building and parked. We walked to the elevator. Ash pushed the button for the penthouse.

Of course, I thought.

He kept his hand on my lower back as we walked into his apartment. It was just as modern and sleek as I expected a penthouse apartment downtown to be. Ash did not say anything as he stepped past me and went down the hallway. I slipped off my heels. I crossed my arms over my chest as I looked around the apartment. There were no photos anywhere except for one sitting on the television stand. My apartment was covered in photographs of Chris and me as children with our parents. It was as if Ash did not care about his family or was trying to forget them.

I picked up the frame to see that it was a picture of Ash and a girl. She had similar dark hair and features as Ash. They were sitting on lawn chairs in a backyard with beers in their hand.

"That's my sister Abby," Ash said.

I looked behind me to see Ash standing there with a stack of clothes. Abby being his twin, would definitely explain why they look so much like each other. I set the photo back onto the stand.

"These are probably going to be too big," Ash said, "but they will be better than that dress."

I took the clothes out of his hands. My heart fluttered when our fingers brushed together.

"Thank you," I said.

"The bathroom is the last door on the right," he said.

I nodded before going down the hallway and into the bathroom. I slipped out of the wine-stained dress and put on the sweatpants, T-shirt, and hoodie. I had to roll up the pant legs on the sweats and pulled the cord as tight as I could. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and raised a brow. Men wanted me in lingerie or naked, but Ash gave me something that swallowed up my frame.

I folded my dress and set it on the sink. Ash was in the kitchen and pulled a bottle of wine out of the fridge. Two wine glasses were sitting on the counter. He poured two glasses before pushing one closer to me. He looked up at me and smiled wide when he saw me in his clothes. He grabbed his glass, and I followed him as he sat on the couch. He turned on the television, and a movie was playing. We were angled, facing each other and not paying attention to the screen. Ash had his elbow resting on the back of the couch.

"Are you going to tell me why you work at that place?" Ash asked.

I rolled my eyes. He seemed to be stuck on the topic.

"Are you ever going to stop asking?" I asked.

"I'm just curious," he said. "You don't seem like the kind of girl that would work there."

"What kind of girl do I seem like?"

Ash stared at me as he took a drink of his wine. I swirled mine before taking a sip. It was heavenly, and I am sure it cost more than I made a night.

"I would say a good girl," he said. "But, you did manage to get the watch off my wrist. So now I am not really sure. You're a little thief, aren't you?"

Part of me wished I had kept the watch, but the shocked expression on his face was worth it.

"You're a thief too," I said. "Just on a bigger scale. You seem so normal. How did you get into it?"

Ash chuckled before taking another drink. He broke eye contact. His mind seemed to be racing as he tried to give me an explanation. There was a lot that he was hiding.