Chapter 18: GRACELYNN POV

My heart fluttered as I left Ash's car. I struggled not to look behind me as I walked into the building. I was sure that he was watching me walk away.

As I walked into the building and to the elevator, I got strange looks. I was clearly doing my walk of shame, and it did not help that my dress was covered in wine stains. As I walked down the hall to our unit, my heels clicked across the floor. I opened the door.

Chris jumped up from the couch when I entered. He was scowling as he stormed over to me. I raised a brow when I saw him seething. I locked the door behind me. I tried to step past Chris, but he grabbed my arm.

"Where were you?" he asked. "You spent all night with him, didn't you?"

"Why does that matter?" I asked.

"You can't let men use you for your body, Gracie."

I gritted my teeth. I wanted to snap at him. I was selling my body to men for him, and he did not care. Ash was actually kind to me, and Chris was treating him like he was the bad guy. I could not tell Chris the truth about my job, though.

"I'm an adult," I said. "If I want to spend all night with someone, I am allowed to."

"I had no clue where you were," he said. "You did not answer your phone. I was terrified you were hurt or dead."

I rolled my eyes. I tried to yank my arm out of his grip, but he curled his fingers deeper into my flesh.

"That's hilarious," I said sarcastically. "I spend every day terrified that you are dying because you are not answering my texts. Don't be a hypocrite, Chris."

"I can take care of myself," he said.

I scoffed. I pulled my arm again, but he did not let go.

"I am more than capable of taking care of myself," I said. "I am not only taking care of myself, but I am also taking care of both of us."

"I don't trust that guy," he said. "He is only looking to have sex with you. Where did you even find him?"

I swallowed past the lump forming in my throat. I could not tell him about The Cave. No one was supposed to know about it.

"I met him online." It was not exactly a lie. "It was our second date."

Chris's grip on my arm was so tight that he was bruising my flesh. I hissed out in pain as he tightened his hold.

"Chris, you're hurting me," I said.

He looked down at his hand. His eyes went wide, and he let go. I pulled my arm toward me and rubbed the tender skin.

"Gracie, I want what is best for you," he said.

"What would be best for me would be to see you healthy," I said. "Can you go to rehab?"

"Not right now," he said. "I am not in a good head space for it right now. I promise you that I will go soon."

I bit down on my lip and nodded. I had heard this many times. Even if he does go to rehab or detox, he never stays. Instead, I had to watch his addiction tear him apart.

"Sure you will," I said.

"You don't believe me?" he asked.

"Honestly? No."

Chris threw his hands up into the air. I flinched and took a step back. I was seeing my subconscious response angered Chris even more. He balled up his hand and brought his fist down on the counter.

"Seriously?" he asked. "After everything I have done for you, you cannot give me the benefit of the doubt? I am going to get clean. I am turning my life around. I just have to do it on my own time. I can't go into those facilities and get better. Stop pushing it on me."

"I don't want to see you dead," I said.

"I'm not going to die! For fucks sake, Gracie. Don't treat me like a child."

"I am terrified every day that the hospital will call me to tell me that you overdosed again."

Chris ran his fingers through his hair. He shook his head before grabbing his keys off the counter. He swore out loud as he stormed out of the apartment. He slammed the door behind him. I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose. I had no clue when he would come home again. The last time we argued, I did not see him for a week.

I unfastened the straps on my heels and then walked to my bedroom. I unzipped my dress and let it fall to my feet. I kicked it to the side. There was no way that I was getting those wine stains out of the white fabric. I went into the bathroom, connected to my room, and turned on the shower. While the water was warming, I pulled out some clothes.

I grabbed my phone from my purse and plugged it into the charger. I set the phone down on the nightstand. I furrowed my brows when I saw that the drawer was slightly open. I keep most of my stolen jewelry from The Cave in there. I never open the drawer. Only when I sell them do I open the drawer.

My heart sunk in my chest when I opened the drawer. It was empty. I don't let anyone in this apartment other than Chris and myself. Chris stole all of my jewelry. I shut the drawer and shook my head.

I played my favourite playlist to try and calm my mind. I thought about dialing Chris's number, but if he answered, we would start to argue again. We both needed to cool off. I hummed to myself as I stepped into the shower.

The hot water cascaded down my skin as I tried to push away the thought of where Chris could be. Instead, I thought about my night with Ash. I embarrassed myself by crying in his apartment, but I was overwhelmed. I almost burst into tears again when I woke up in Ash's bed. I laid next to him all night, and he did not let his hands wander. Any man at the club would have used the opportunity to grope and force themselves on me.

My fingers grazed across my lips. They still tingled from that passionate kiss with Ash. He was possessive yet sweet and gentle. It made me feel like he actually may like me. Maybe he was not using me because of Diablo's Heart?

Did we have a future? If so, what did it hold for us?