Chapter 19: ASH POV

Jace called me when I was pulling away from Gracelynn's building. He told me that we had to return to The Cave tonight. At least I knew I would not have to see Gracelynn twirling around on stage again. She was quitting that brothel for good.

I met Jace outside The Cave that evening. His hair was gelled back, and his tie was not loose around his neck as it normally was. He was adjusting it nervously as he watched me approach.

"You could have dressed up," Jace said. "You know that this is an exclusive club, right?"

I looked down at myself. I had on a black suit and a black shirt. I shrugged as I looked back at him.

"What's wrong with it?" I asked.

"A tie," Jace said. "You could have put some effort in and worn a tie."

"Why do you have a stick up your ass? You're never dressed this nicely. Why are we even here?"

Jace took a step forward so that no one else could hear. I don't know why. We were down an alley. The only people near us were security.

"The Phantom," he said. "Rumour is that he is coming here tonight."

"Why do we need to talk to him?" I asked.

"For twenty million, he can give us more details. Now, let's go before he leaves."

Security let us into the building, and we went up the narrow staircase. The deep thudding sound of music filled my ears. We stepped into the room, and there was a woman on stage. She had red gems placed around her eyes. We sat at a table. I looked at my screen to see the name Ruby. Jace continued to fiddle with his tie as he looked around the room for The Phantom.

"There he is," Jace said.

He lifted his chin to gesture over to The Phantom. This time, he was at the back of the room and not near the stage. He was swirling his whiskey around in the glass. His eyes were focused on the woman on stage. The Cave was less busy today because it was not a weekend. The tables surrounding The Phantom were empty. Perfect, we would have privacy to speak.

I stood. Jace grabbed my arm, but I pulled away from him. He scrambled to get onto his feet and follow. The Phantom did not look at me until I pulled the chair next to him out and sat.

"Emerald is not here tonight," he said.

I cringed at hearing that name. At least now, Gracelynn would never have to be Emerald again. I could not tell him that he would never see her again. He would definitely not give us any information if I did.

"We're not here for Emerald," I said.

Jace pulled out the other chair and sat. The Phantom took a sip of his drink before setting it down on the table.

"What do you boys want?" The Phantom asked.

"We want to know more about Diablo's Heart," Jace said.

The Phantom chuckled and shook his head.

"What more do you need to know?" he asked. "I told you all I know. Go find Lorenzo Ricci."

"You know more," I said. "Twenty million means that you know more."

"You want to know the truth?" he asked. "Leave that diamond the hell alone."

I raised a brow. He would not get his twenty million dollars if we did not get Diablo's Heart. Why would he not be encouraging us to get it? Jace shared the same puzzled look.

"I don't understand," Jace said.

"Do you know the story behind Diablo's Heart?" The Phantom asked. "It's cursed."

I scoffed. He was being ridiculous.

"Seriously?" I asked. "You believe in some fake curse?"

"It's not fake," he said.

"I have only heard bits and pieces of the story," Jace said. "Can you tell us more about it?"

The Phantom sighed. He picked up his whiskey again and took a sip. My hand was balled up in a fist. He knew that he had the information we wanted, and he was dragging it out.

"Diablo's Heart was originally found ten years ago," The Phantom said. "A group of archeologists found it in Jerusalem. All of them died."

"Everyone dies," I said. "That doesn't mean that it is a curse."

"They all die a horrible death within the week? Doesn't seem like a coincidence. They are not the only ones who have died. Diablo's Heart came into the possession of a dealer in Rome. He and every man who had touched it were dead within the week."

"It's all superstition."

Jace put his hand on my shoulder. It was a silent gesture to tell me to shut the hell up.

"How are they dying?" Jace asked.

The Phantom shrugged and sipped his drink. I ground my teeth. He was telling us complete bullshit for twenty million dollars.

"Ghosts get them," he said. "They have all had horrifying deaths."

"That's fucking ridiculous," I said.

Jace curled his fingers tight into my shoulder. I looked over at him, and he was shaking his head.

"Go get Diablo's Heart," The Phantom said. "It's your funeral, boys. If you really want to find it, then go to Lorenzo."

"Thank you for your time," Jace said.

The Phantom nodded. I furrowed my brows.

"That's it?" I asked. "That is all you are going to tell us?"

"It is," he said. "You're welcome."

I balled my hands into a fist. I was ready to beat his face into a pulp, despite knowing that he had men that would try to kill me. Jace stood, grabbed my arm, and pulled me onto my feet. He knew he had to get me out of this club before I did something I would regret. The Phantom smirked as he watched Jace drag me out of the club. I ripped my arm away as we went out the door.

"You should have let me hit him," I said.

"You will be no help dead," Jace said. "I had to get you out of there."

"He was telling us nonsense for twenty million dollars."

"Maybe there was some truth to his story."

"Now, don't you start with that nonsense."

Jace rolled his eyes and shoved his hands in his pockets.

"I guess we have to find Lorenzo Ricci," he said.