CHAPTER 9: ASH POV

Wow.

Wow was all I could say.

Gracelynn was beautiful in her photos, but I was amazed when I saw her bright green eyes in person. Light freckles dusted her nose and cheeks. Her full lips were covered in a gloss that I wanted to taste.

Fuck.

I am not this man.

She sat across from me at the table. She pulled her jacket off and my eyes went to the gold chain around her neck. It was an eighteen-karat gold cross.

"Are you religious?" I asked.

The question slipped off my tongue. I didn't mean to ask her that.

Gracelynn raised a brow before her lips parted and her fingers fiddled with the chain.

"I was raised Christian," she said.

"So was I," I said.

It actually wasn't a lie. My mother was probably one of the biggest Catholics to ever come out of Ireland. She forced me into Catholic school, but unfortunately, I was kicked out of everyone in Toronto. She had always threatened to send me to Ireland to live with my grandmother.

Gracelynn smiled and it brightened her face. A waiter came by and handed us some menus. I opened it and read through the list of beers. When I looked up, she had not opened her menu and was drumming her fingers on the cover. Her eyes were narrowed like she was analyzing me.

"Tell me about yourself," she said.

This is it. This is where I lie.

"I work in event planning." I remembered what Jace wrote on my profile. I had no idea what that was, so I hope she doesn't ask too many questions. "It is a pretty boring job."

"Any hobbies?" she asked.

I like robbing banks, museums, and mansions. I can't say that though.

"I like sports," I said. "I don't play anymore though."

"What did you use to play?" she asked.

"Baseball and rugby."

"Any siblings?"

"I have a twin sister."

"Where did you go to school?"

"UofT."

Was this a job interview? I'm used to girls, like Mindy, who spend the whole time talking about themselves. I was not used to this barrage of questions. She was causing me to have to think fast.

"How about you?" I asked.

She bit down on her lip. She turned in her seat and flagged down the waiter. He came over to the table and she ordered some beer that I have never heard of before. The waiter nodded and took down our orders before walking away.

"How often do you come here?" I asked.

"My friend really likes this place," she said.

"So what do you do for work?"

"I'm a waitress."

"Where?"

She shrugged. "A restaurant. Nothing about it is too interesting."

"Where did you go to school?"

"I didn't go."

This conversation was very superficial. Is this how a typical first date went? Is this really what I was looking for?