Chapter 8: GRACELYNN POV

What was I thinking?

I shared only a few messages with this man and now I was going to meet him? I had never met anyone from online before.

I was so worried about Ira trying to force me into sex trafficking, but I could willingly be going to a man with ill intentions. For all I know, he could be a serial killer.

My breath was shaky as I brushed my hair. I thought about calling off this date, but I was kind of intrigued. He was really cute and seem like an average normal man. He was probably what I needed in my life. As long as I could keep The Cave a secret, we could have a good time together.

The front door opened and I set down the brush. I rushed out of the bathroom and into the living room. Chris was sitting on the couch. He had his head buried in his hands. His fingers were curled into his hair and yanking on his scalp.

"Hey, Chris," I said. "I didn't see you this morning."

He lifted his head. His skin was slick with sweat and his eyes were bright red. He wrapped his arms around himself.

"I need some money," he said.

"I gave you over a hundred dollars yesterday," I said.

"I know, but I need more."

I sighed. He was withdrawing and I knew he was suffering. I wanted to help. He took care of me for over five years after our parents died. He was eighteen and I was thirteen, so he had become my legal guardian. It was my turn to look after him. However, if he overdosed on drugs I bought for him, I would never forgive myself. I was never sure what to do.

Chris noticed my hesitation. He got up off the couch and grabbed my arms. He bent his knees so that he was down at my level. His body was shaking. My chest tightened as my heart ached. I barely recognized the shell this addiction had turned my brother into.

"Please, Gracie," he begged. "Just give me another hundred. I promise I will stop asking for money."

I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath as I thought. He never stopped asking

"Gracie, you've gotta give it to me," he said. "I'm hurting."

"I'll take you to the rehab centre," I said.

Chris tightened his grip on my arms as he shook his head.

"No, not rehab," he said. "Not right now. I can't do it right now. Just give me another month. I promise in a month I will go again."

"Okay," I said quietly.

Chris let go of my arms and I walked into my room. I grabbed my purse and fished out a hundred dollars. I was happy he wasn't going through my purse without asking. I handed him the money and he wrapped his arms around me in a tight hug.

"I love you so much, Gracie," he said.

"Please, think about rehab or detox," I said. "I want you to get better."

"I got it under control right now. I'll go soon."

Chris kissed the top of my head before going out the door. I slipped on my jacket and scarf before zipping up my boots. I wore the only turtleneck I had in my closet. I thought pairing that with a gold cross I had stolen from one of the girls at The Cave would make me look wholesome.

I told Ash to meet me at the brewery near my apartment building. I shoved my hands in the pockets of my jacket and headed out the door.

My heart pounded in my chest as I got closer to the brewery. Would I be able to recognize Ash? How close would he look to his photos? Was he already here waiting?

A man was standing outside the doors to the brewery. He was tall. He had on a toque and dark stubble running across his sharp jaw. He was looking in the opposite direction. When my boots clicked across the sidewalk, he turned to look at me. My breath caught in my throat when I looked into his dark eyes. The scar across his left eyebrow told me that it was Ash.

His lips spread into a wide smile. It was a warm and soft smile. This was definitely the kind of guy that works in a soup kitchen in his free time.

"Gracelynn?" he asked.

I opened my mouth to speak, but no words came out. This man was even more gorgeous than in his photos. I nodded because I was lost for words.

Ash bit down on his lip as his eyes scanned me from head to toe. It was different than the way the men at The Cave look at me. He wasn't looking at my body like it was some object he could buy. He was looking at me like I was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. An unusual feeling washed over me as the heat ran up to my cheeks.

He held his hand out. "I'm Ash."

I shook his hand. His palm was rough, but his hold was soft. The delicious smell of his cologne filled my nose.

This date was not going to go the way I expected.