Chapter 10: GRACELYNN POV

The date was not a complete failure. It was nice to have a completely mundane and normal conversation with a man. That was all ruined when Gio called me in a panic. Pearl sprained her ankle and could not make it into The Cave tonight. He did not give me an option. It was either to show up to work or never come to work again.

The week went by as it typically did, but I was on my phone more frequently. I usually was on my cell trying to track down Chris, but instead, I spent my time texting Ash. Our conversation remained superficial, but I smiled every time my phone vibrated and Ash's name popped up on the screen.

On Saturday night, I was sitting at my vanity in the dressing room of The Cave. I had finished doing my makeup when my phone vibrated again. I had lied to Ash about where I was going tonight. I said that I was going to work at a dive bar. I gave him the name of a fake bar so that he would not try to surprise me by showing up.

"What has got you smiling like that?" Ruby asked.

She was adding small red stones to the edge of her eye makeup. I looked around the dressing room to see only Sapphire in the corner. She had her headphones in her ears and was humming to her music. At least this place was Diamond free.

"I met this guy," I said.

The corner of Ruby's lip lifted into a smile.

"A guy?" she asked. "Where? How? Is he cute?"

"On Flirtley," I said. "It's that guy's profile we saw at the coffee shop."

"That hottie? What was his name? Adam? Allen? Andrew?"

"Ash."

Ruby ran her fingers through her hair before turning to face me. The silk robe was wrapped around her body. She crossed her legs and rested her hand on her knee.

"Did you meet him in person?" she asked.

"I did," I said. "We had a date."

"When's the second?"

I shrugged. I would love to see Ash again, but our schedules were clashing. He was a morning person and I usually slept until the afternoon. We were supposed to meet up last night, but I had not heard from Chris in over twenty-four hours so I went to look for him instead. I lied to Ash and said that I was not feeling well.

"Hopefully, soon," I said.

"Have you fucked him?" Ruby asked.

I rolled my eyes. I grabbed the outfit from the rack and got changed into the gold and black ensemble. I went back to the mirror to fasten the emerald earrings. Ruby went back to finishing her makeup.

I stepped out of the dressing room. Gio was walking down the hall. Diamond was hanging off of his arm. She threw her head back and giggled. She stopped laughing when my gold heels clicked across the floor. She glared at me and pulled herself closer to Gio. He smirked as his eyes scanned my body.

"Looking good tonight, Emerald," Gio said. "Don't disappoint."

I stayed quiet as I walked past them. Not acknowledging him pissed Gio off. Gio stopped and spun around. Diamond stumbled in her heels as he made the jerky movement. I looked over my shoulder when I heard her gasp. Gio was scowling and his brows were furrowed.

"I know what you did with Ira," Gio said. "He was a high-paying customer. You do it again and I will be the one in the room instead of Danny. Understand?"

My chest tightened. Danny was my only saviour in that room. If Gio was the one supervising, he wouldn't care if the men abused me. I could not even imagine what he would let the men get away with when touching me.

"It won't happen again," I said.

"Good," he said. "Now, go out there and make me lots of money."

Diamond snickered as Gio turned them around. They headed toward his office where she was about to suck his cock before she had to fuck the man who won.

I pulled the curtains back and looked at the room. The stage was in the middle and surrounded by tables and chairs. Men were at the tables and most were deep in conversation. I stepped into the room and the odd man looked over at me and grinned. I forced a fake smile as I strut into the club letting my hips sway.

I dragged my fingers across Simon's shoulder as I walked by his usual spot. I was glad to see him. At least one dance this night would not be terrible.

The music began to play and the deep rhythmic beat played in my ears. I knew the entire playlist and this was the longest song. Gio was probably doing this with the intention of keeping me uncomfortable by being on stage for as long as possible. At least this way I would get more tips by having more time to dance.

I grabbed the pole and spun around. I rested my back against the cold bar and I rolled my hips as I bent my knees to lower myself. I closed my eyes and let the beat control my body. I opened my eyes and nearly gasped and tripped over my feet.

My eyes connected with a man at the back of the club. He was wearing a dark suit, but I recognized the stubble along that hard jawline and the scar through his eyebrow.

Ash was here.

How did he get in?

This club was exclusive to the worst possible people in this world. It was not a place that event planners, whatever that was, could get into. An average mundane man would not be invited nor could he afford the cover, the tips, and he definitely could not afford to bet.

His dark eyes narrowed as he leaned forward so that his elbows were resting on his knees. He was with another man who had blond hair and his tie was loose around his neck. He raised a brow as he stared at Ash.

I was proud of myself that only stopped dancing for a few seconds before swaying my hips again. Gio would fire me if I froze on stage. I could not afford to lose this job.

I could not stop staring at Ash. God, he looked scrumptious in that suit. He was I-want-to-tear-your-clothes-off gorgeous. I thought he was attractive at the brewery, but now he was delectable.

Ash straightened and looked down at the screen on his table before looking up at me. There is no way that he can afford to bet. I don't know how he made it in here, but he definitely could not place a bet.

I struggled to breathe when I saw him touch the screen. He just placed a bet.

I needed to get off this stage. I needed to hide from Ash and never talk to him again. He was watching me dance in barely any clothes and prepare to have sex with one of the men in the room. He was definitely judging me. Pretending to be a good Christian girl was no longer an option.

I looked over at Simon and saw that his eyes were locked on the screen. He was tapping his finger against the screen and shaking his head. I glanced across the room to see Ash was also tapping the screen.

They were in a bidding war for me.

Ash was in a competition to try and have sex with me in the Gold Room. I shiver ran up my spine. Of course, he was just like every other man and wanted me for my body. All he wanted to do was fuck and, despite him looking handsome, the thought of him touching me caused my skin to crawl.

I continued to dance and did something I haven't done in a long time.

I prayed.