Chapter 22: GRACELYNN POV

I clutched the couch cushion to my chest as I watched the terrible horror movie that Chris and I watched the other night. Chris had yet to come home since our fight. My phone was sitting on the couch beside me. I had texted him countless times, but I was still waiting for his response. Was he overdosing on the street? If the hospital called me, at least I would know where he was.

I was not paying attention to the movie. I was staring at my screen, hoping that Chris would send me one text.

My heart pounded when there was a knock on the door. It was just past midnight. Who would be here? It had to be Chris. He had stormed out of the apartment, and I doubt he had brought his keys. I jumped off the couch and ran toward the door.

Ash was standing on the other side. I furrowed my brows before I looked over my shoulder at the clock. Why was he here at midnight? He was wearing a black suit, and I recognized it as the one he was wearing when I saw him at The Cave. It made him look mouth-watering.

He smiled as his eyes scanned me from head to toe. I was in a pair of sweatpants and a T-shirt. My hair was piled on the top of my head, and I did not have any makeup on my face. My eyes were still probably red from crying earlier. I had not been this bare before a man in a long time, and the vulnerability made me uneasy.

"Hey, beautiful," Ash said.

"Why are you here?" I asked. "It's late."

"Can I come in?"

I stepped to the side, and Ash walked in. I closed the door. Ash was looking around the apartment.

"Where is your brother?" he asked.

I shrugged. "Probably out with some friends."

It was easier to lie. It had always been easier to lie. Ash wanted us to be open and honest, but that would never happen.

"I have some great news," Ash said.

"What is it?" I asked.

"You officially no longer work at The Cave."

I raised a brow. What was he talking about? He said he would talk to Gio, but I could not see that going in Ash's favor. Gio was probably arranging for both Ash and me to be murdered right now.

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"You no longer work at The Cave," he repeated.

"That is impossible," I said. "Gio won't let me leave."

"I told you that I would take care of it. Gio is letting you go."

I shook my head. Gio was scared of no one. All he cared about was money. My heart sunk in my chest when I realized what Ash must have done.

"How much?" I asked.

He furrowed his brows.

"What?" he asked.

"How much?" I asked. "How much did you pay Gio for me?"

I cried on Ash's chest because of how I sold myself to men. I thought Ash would be different, but he was just another man purchasing my body. There was an actual tangible number to how much I was worth. I braced myself to hear the number.

"I did not pay Gio anything," he said. "I didn't buy you. No one is ever going to buy you again."

"What did you do then?" I asked.

"Don't worry about it."

Ash extended his arm out. I stepped forward, and he wrapped his arm around me. I sighed as I rested my head against his chest. Whatever he did, I was thankful that I would never have to walk into The Cave again.