Chapter 15: ASH POV

Seven o'clock could not come fast enough. I changed into a black suit and a black tie. I got ready too early, which resulted in me pacing around the apartment until it was time to pick up Gracelynn. Part of me feared that she would not let me into the apartment and refuse to go out with me.

God, I was never like this.

This girl was turning me into some mushy mess that I hated.

I grabbed my keys and headed toward my car. As I drove to her apartment, I tapped my fingers against the steering wheel. My heart was beating, and sweat was building on my palms. I hated the effect she had on me.

I parked outside her building, and security let me through the front door. It was easy to get into places when you were dressed nicely. I texted Gracelynn for her apartment number, and I was surprised when she responded right away.

I got into the elevator and fixed the cuffs of my sleeves as I went up to her floor. I walked down the hall and took a deep breath before knocking on her door.

A man opened the door. He was tall, almost as tall as me. He was wearing an oversized sweater, but he appeared lanky. He narrowed his eyes in an attempt to intimidate me. Good luck with that, buddy.

"Are you Ash?" he asked.

Who was this man? Did she live with this man? Was he her boyfriend? Was I being played all along?

"Is Gracelynn here?" I asked.

The man pushed the door wider and took a step to the side.

"Gracie!" he called out. "Your date is here."

I stepped into the apartment and passed this man. The apartment was larger and nicer than I anticipated. She probably made good money at The Cave. How much of my fifty thousand did she get?

One of the bedroom doors opened, and Gracelynn stepped out. I struggled not to gasp when I saw her. She had on a white dress that hugged her body perfectly. Her hair was curled and half pinned back. She wore make-up that made her eyes stand out even more, but it was not the ridiculous amount she wore at The Cave. She had on the emerald earrings with a matching necklace. She had on a pair of black heels.

"You look beautiful," I said.

She smiled. The man cleared his throat, ruining our moment.

"Keep it in your pants, please," he said.

I glared at him. Gracelynn rolled her eyes. Her heels clicked as she walked toward the man. She put her hand on his shoulder.

"I won't be home too late," she said.

"You better not," he said. 

I bit the inside of my cheeks to not curse this man out. I have no clue who he was, but I did not like him. I think the feeling was mutual.

The suspicion was confirmed when he looked at me with a scowl. I crossed my arms over my chest, refusing to back down.

"You better not hurt her," he said. "If she comes back upset, I will have guys that will find you."

Cute, I thought.

"You're being ridiculous, Chris," Gracelynn said. "I'll see you later."

"Bye," he said. "I love you, Gracie."

"I love you too."

I balled my hands up into fists. This must be a boyfriend. What game was she playing? I know we lied about who we are, but who was this man?

I followed Gracelynn out of the apartment. She threw her purse over her shoulder as she walked toward the elevator. I looked back at the door, half expecting Chris to watch us leave.