Chapter 24: GRACELYNN POV

I tried not to look at Jace on the flight to Mexico. Whenever I glanced at him, he stared at me like he wanted to rip off my head. Ash sat next to me on the bench on the side of the private plane. He put his arm on the back of the cushion, and his fingers grazed along my shoulder. I wanted to lean my head against him, but it would definitely anger Jace more. He did not want me here.

Ash did not want me here either. I forced myself into this heist, but once I heard that the diamond was worth half a billion, I had to. I liked expensive jewels, and this one was one of the most valuable.

None of us spoke for the over four-hour flight. My bones ached from sitting in the same position for so long. My eyes were heavy as the sun rose, and I had yet to sleep. Being in bed with Ash felt like it happened days ago, not hours ago. I squeezed my thighs together as I remembered how his hands felt on my body.

I had never been on a plane before. My family never went on vacation before my parents died. After, Chris could not afford one. Now, he was too deep into his addiction. My heart pounded when the plane shook. I was proud of myself for keeping calm through the take-off and the past few hours in the air. I grabbed Ash's shirt and pulled myself closer to him. He wrapped his arm around me, and he chuckled.

"It's just turbulence," he said.

"That's normal?" I asked.

"Completely."

My knuckles ached when I loosened my grip on him. The plane stopped shaking, and I could breathe again. Jace rolled his eyes. I did not grab Ash again until we landed.

Jace rushed out of the plane before either Ash or I had the chance to stand. I bit down on my lip. He clearly did not want me here, but I had to stay. I needed the money.

Ash tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear. He sighed and looked out the window at the tarmac. He turned to face me.

"You don't have to go," Ash said. "I can always get you a flight home."

I shook my head. "Not a chance."

"You sure?"

"I have always wanted to go to Mexico."

I stood, winked at Ash, and then headed for the door. The warm air was like heaven against my pale skin. I squinted and held my hand above my eyes so that I could see. I looked around the tiny airport, and I could not see Jace. Ash put his hand on my hip and guided me to a Jeep off to the side. Jace was in the driver's seat, drumming his fingers on the steering wheel. Ash pulled back the seat and helped me into the back as people grabbed our luggage.

Jace fiddled with the radio, and a Spanish song crackled and played. He pulled away from the airport. I leaned back in the seat and looked up at the trees overhead. I had never been outside of Canada, so everything was so interesting. I was not listening to them talk as I wanted to look at every little detail.

Jace pulled up a small dirt path to a little house. It had white paint flaking off and a red roof. A hammock was strung on the patio. I could hear the waves crashing against the shore. I smiled and straightened in the seat.

Ash helped me out of the Jeep. He grabbed each of our bags, and I followed him inside. There was aged wicker furniture inside, and the cabinets in the kitchen were painted bright colours. Ash walked into the bedroom at the end of the hall. He dropped our bags on the bed and let out a deep breath.

"Listen here," Jace yelled from the bedroom he was standing in. The walls were thin, and it sounded like he was in the room. "No sex is allowed while we're here."

Ash chuckled as he put his hands on my hips. He pulled me into his arms.

"Good luck trying to stop us," Ash said.

The heat rushed to my cheeks, and I buried my face in his chest. Why was I so embarrassed? My job used to be to have sex with men. Knowing that what Ash and I were doing was more intimate made me vulnerable. I hated that feeling.

"I'm serious," Jace said. "I hear one moan, and you both are being left behind."

Ash kissed the top of my head before letting go. A chill ran through my bones as he stepped out of the room. Despite the humidity in the air, I wrapped my arms around myself and rubbed my skin to eliminate the cold feeling.

"You really need to calm down," Ash said.

His voice was coming from my left. I did not have to put my ear against the wall to hear what they said. I sat on the foot of the bed. My reflection stared back at me in the mirror hanging above the dresser. Dark bags were under my eyes from not sleeping all night, and my hair was in tangles.

"We are not here for you to be on vacation with your girlfriend," Jace said. "We're here for a job."

"I told you, she's helping," Ash said.

"She's a liability. There is no way she is leaving this house."

Ash scoffed. I picked at the skin around my fingernails nervously. I had to go with them. I wanted my full share, and I wanted no reason for them to take a cut. My knee bounced as I struggled not to run into the room and defend myself. I was not here as Ash's girlfriend. I was here as a member of the team.

"She is coming with us," Ash said. "She is going to help."

"I seriously doubt it," Jace said.

"She'll prove you wrong."

"That's cute to say, but she better not get in the way."

I ran my fingers through my hair and sighed. I flopped back onto the bed. Ash and Jace bickered about me, making my stomach twist in a knot.

What was going to happen? Would I regret coming here?

I had to keep reminding myself of all the money I would get at the end of this journey.