5 | Baked Goods

Prince "Robert's" POV

"Robbie! Are you even listening?" Victoria complains, bringing me back to reality.

"Oh yeah, uhm sorry" I apologize and will myself to listen to whatever she has to say. See, ever since I had that conversation with Nathaniel - he's just been on my mind. I've been thinking about him a lot over the weekend...

"You're doing it again" the Princess whines.

"I'm just really tired, I feel like I didn't get enough rest over the weekend" I lie.

"Well you can't be tired this week because we have a lot to prepare."

"What for?" I enquire, making her eyes nearly pop out of her head - as she stares at me in absolute shock. Did I forget something?

"We're celebrating the three year anniversary of the Battle of Old Place Rockmount, Robert. It's sacred! You're not supposed to be forgetting historical events like this." Oh, so we're celebrating a day that claimed hundreds of lives? How fun.

"Oh."

"So the tailor is going to be here right before your school day ends, so you'll find her here" she says. "Plus" she beams, "I was thinking we could get matching attires, you know?"

"That's too much Victoria" I state honestly.

"Urgh" she groans. "You're such a kill joy." If only you knew how much you kill my joy.

"I better head out or else I'll be late" I say, excusing myself.

"Don't forget, after school you come straight home!" she yells after me. Yeah, sure thing mom.

*****

My heart beats hard against my rib cage as I rush to his locker in absolutely nothing short of excitement - don't bother asking why I'm so excited, because I also don't know.

I spent the whole day trying to look for him but also keeping my distance, so as to not seem to desperate, but I've reached my breaking point. I just wanted to see him before having to go back to my miserable life.

The bell rang a few minutes ago - signaling the end of the day, and that is how I found myself nearly out of breath by the hazel- Nathaniel's locker.

I don't really understand what's happening with me and why I feel this way towards him but all I know is that I like it, and I'd really like to be friends with him...

"Prince?" that soft, almost angelic voice calls out.

"Oh hey Nathaniel," I greet him, awkwardly scratching my neck.

He smiles cutely, "How can I assist His Majesty this afternoon?"

I just wanted to see you - was the answer I wanted to give him, but I figured that would really be weird. "No, I just wanted to ask you a few things."

He flushes and diverts his gaze to the floor, "Oh, I wish I had time Your Majesty - I just have to be somewhere in a few minutes, and I really don't want to be late."

I really tried to retain my composure, but I'm certain my shoulders sagged in disappointment when those words left his mouth. "Oh."