9 | Brothers Alike

Prince "Robert's" POV

Never in my life have I been this conflicted. Never had I wanted to beat someone up this badly, but also give them the biggest bear hug my average frame could muster. 

Maybe I'll just beat him up, then I'll hug him afterwards...

"What in the bloody hell do you think you're doing back here?!" my father's voice booms in nothing short of fury, interrupting my wild train of thought.

"I'm here to talk to my brother..."

"What makes you think that we'll allow him to talk to you?" my father argues once more - not even affording Joshua an opportunity to state his case...

"Well the last I checked Myles was his own person, who could make his own choices. I think it's only fair that he decides whether he wants to talk to me or not" Joshua says, looking at me expectantly.

"After the nonsense you put our family through, do you really think I'll allow you to talk to 'Robert' ever again?" he fires back, putting emphasis on the name that I was given by the King before marrying the Princess.

"You've allowed them to change you Kiddo?" Joshua asks, and the moment the nickname leaves his mouth I am hit with an instant wave of nostalgia. How he would call me 'kiddo' and tell me that he'd always be around. How he had promised me that he would always have my back - yet the past three years have proven otherwise.

How dare he call me that after abandoning me and forcing me into living his life for him? How dare he waltz into this palace after so long? 

I could feel tears swell up in my eyes, I could feel my blood begin to boil in absolute anger - but at the bottom of it all, lied reality.

How could I hate someone I love so much? Even if I tried to reason with myself about the life his decisions have forced me into - he's still the one that knew my deepest darkest secrets. He's the one I've always opened up to, the one I could trust. My first best friend...

"Kiddo," he calls out again. "I'm not asking for a lot. Just five minutes of your time and I'll be out of here."

"Don't you dare talk to him..."

"What is all this noise about?!" the King's voice bounces off the walls as he enters the kitchen - cutting off my father's rant. "I've been hearing all of this noise from the study...Is that Joshua?" he asks, pointing at my brother.

"Yes, Your Majesty" my mother responds.

"Oh well, you came at the right time." the King says with false excitement. "We are having a feast - join us" he adds, extending an invitation to Joshua, making my father squirm.

Knowing Joshua and how much he hates confrontations, he'll probably say no...

"Yes" he answers, shocking me in the process. "Only after I get to talk to Myl...to my brother."

"Well go on then" the King says, pushing me towards the direction of the entryway, where Joshua had disappeared into. And as I follow after him - the gears in my head keep spinning as to why he came back. What does he want from me that he finally decides to show his face here - after three long years?

"Hey Kiddo" he greets once we've gotten some distance from curious eyes. "I hope you're not too angry with me."

"How can you say that?" I spit. "How can you hope that I'm not angry with you?" I add, seething. I mean, why does it seem like everyone is out to make my life a lot worse than it actually is? First the guards, then Victoria and my parents, now him?

"I wish I could tell you just how sorry I am for leaving you, but there are no words that will do my apology any justice..."

"I'm not mad that you left me!" I shout very loudly - scaring myself in the process. "I'm mad that you left me to live your life. A life you knew I wanted nothing to do with" I add, this time - on a gentler note.