18 | Lost in Battle

Prince "Robert's" POV

Never, have I ever thought that I would live long enough to be genuinely happy within the walls of this castle. 

After months and months of absolute misery; from the forced union with the Princess, to the terrible treatment from my parents - I surely thought I would remain stuck in that misery, until the day I learn to find joy within such negativity. 

But having Nathaniel here truly changes that. I mean, after our kiss we just continued on with our little conversation, with some giggles and flushes here and there from him. 

The things I would do to have that be my life everyday. Goodness!

I shake my head in an attempt to try and shift my focus to something else because for as long as my mind wanders about the hazel-eyed boy, nothing will be done. Speaking of being done, I finally pull my tie closer to my neck before throwing on my school blazer. 

And if you're wondering, yes Victoria finally decided that she could allow me to go back to school - after weeks.

I click my tongue at the thought, as I head to the kitchen to carry out my daily schedule. Get Nathaniel breakfast, ask Cleo to make him lunch and probably kiss him goodbye.  

I get to the kitchen and low and behold, my mother sat on one of the bar stools as the cooks run around surely trying to make another one of her very complicated breakfast requests. 

"Good morning" I greet sweetly, opening the cabinet and taking out two bowls and some cereal.

"Morni-" Cleo tries to greet back, but gets cut off by the nasty look that my mother sends her way.

"Who's the other bowl for?" my mother asks finally acknowledging my presence.

"It's for Nathaniel" I respond with as much confidence as I could muster, and she just shakes her head in disapproval at my answer but does not say anything further. What's wrong with her?

Now that I think about it, she's been acting rather odd from last night but I really couldn't bring myself to care about that - not after the incredible day I had with Nathan. 

"Hey Cleo" I call out, making the petite woman rapidly turn around and almost drop all of the fridge's contents - making my mother roll her eyes. 

"May you please pass me the milk?" I ask kindly, trying really hard to make up for my mother's rudeness.

Cleo passes the milk, her eyes not meeting mine and I made a mental note to talk to her about it later. No friend of mine has to worry about doing all these crazy things like bowing for me, I'm just another human. 

"Please don't forget to make Nathaniel lunch, he really loved your grilled cheese. It was really delicious" I compliment sincerely, making Cleo smile as her gaze remains rooted to the ground. "Let me head down there, I'll see you when I come back from school."

I rush down the hallway to the opposite end of the palace where the dungeons are located. The guards outside the door jump from their seats when they see me, making me roll my eyes at the act. 

"Hey guys, please help me" I say, as I struggle to balance the cereal under my arm, the two bowls with the spoons, and the carton of milk Cleo gave to me. 

They both rush and one takes the cereal, and as the other tries to take the bowls I respond: "It's fine, you stay here and guard the door, but thanks."

I make my way past him and descend the flight of stairs leading to the dungeons that have become like a second home over the past number of weeks, as I couldn't stop myself from smiling at the thought of seeing Nathaniel.