31 | The Future of Quinnston

Nathaniel's POV

I had never seen Queen Mother Harriet so upset. I had stood witness to a lot of violence in my life - sometimes being on the receiving end of it; but I've never been this intimidated by someone's fury. Let alone fury that wasn't even directed to me.

The Queen had just scurried out of the great lounge and silence fell upon the space as soon as she departed; yet, from the other side of the room - I could still see her nostrils flare in absolute anger. Shock and disappointment visible in her face.

I jump back a little at when the Queen Mother stands up abruptly, marching out of the room with a determined look - and I couldn't help but sigh in defeat.

Maybe all of this was my fault. Maybe if I hadn't suggested to Myles that we tell the Queen Mother the truth, this wouldn't have happened...

But before my mind consumes my very being, a light squeeze of my hand brings me back to reality - Myles sending a comforting gaze my way.

"Are you okay?" he asks, his hand still laced comfortably with mine. And for a moment, his eyes hold me captive. So enthralling, I thought to myself as I continued to drown in his beautiful orbs.

Considering that a handful of the time we spent together was filled with constantly trying to overcome adversity, I knew for a fact that I never got a chance to express to him just how beautiful his eyes are.

So blue. So gorgeous.

In fact, now that I think about it, they remind me of that clear lake in the Goldfleece where we first met...

"Nath?" Myles calls out with a gentle nudge, once again interrupting my train of thought. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah" I smile. "I'm okay" I add with a reassuring nod. "Do you think I should go check on the Queen Mother?"

My words catch him by surprise, his eyes widening to back this up: "Are you sure babe?"

A small smile makes its way onto my face, and without a mirror - I knew without a shadow of a doubt that my face was probably beet red upon hearing the pet name.

Myles has grown into calling me these sweet names and each time he did - I couldn't help myself but flush. Not only because the names are just really big signs of endearment; but because I never thought - for the life of me - that I would find someone that would treat me like he does.

I never thought I was worthy of the love that he gives me. I mean, I grew up in an environment where I was constantly reminded of my low status in society, and how I wouldn't turn out to anything of worth in the world - but now...I have this handsome man beside me. My one and only. My husband. My King.

"I'm sure" I add with a chuckle, stealing a glance to where Irene was just a few moments ago: "Where did Ms. Irene go?"

"She said: 'Young love makes her sick' so she left" he chuckles. "She's so dramatic."

A laugh escapes my throat at his words. I hadn't spent enough time with Ms. Irene to an extent that I would be able to judge her character, but the little snippets that I've seen of her definitely led me to believe that she was indeed: a bit dramatic, with a little bit of sass where it was needed. But I like her nonetheless.