10 | Feast over the Fallen

Prince "Robert's" POV

"Oh Felix is gonna kill me" Joshua fusses, as we make our way into the palace, with Nathan beside me.

"Hey, calm down man" I say, trying to put his racing mind at ease - but it just seems like I added fuel to the fire.

"You don't get it Kiddo. He's the one that encouraged me to come here and warn you about what's abo..." he steals a glance at Nathan and decides not to continue.

"Well, you can always tell me after this feast, it's not the end of the world. Whoever this Felix is, he should be the least of your worries."

"He's always one of my worries" he sighs. "But that's why I love him so much" he adds, before making his way into the dining hall. Oh, so Felix is his boyfriend? How cute...

"Shall we follow suit then" I say to Nathaniel, who had his gaze on the floor this entire time.

"I'll just be in the kitchen" he says lowly, his words confusing me.

"What? Why?"

"No, don't worry about it. It's not a problem" he tries to shrug it off, but I can see from the way he keeps playing with the sleeves of his shirt that he is truly bothered by something.

"Hey Nathan, what's up?" I question, grabbing his hand, and his eyes shoot up to meet mine.

"The King...the King just sa-said that the royal family can't eat with a commoner...so, yeah" he clarifies sadly, and seeing him like this just breaks my heart. I mean, when I look at him now - from the manner in which he's dressed tells me that he truly made an effort to fit in. 

And for him to go through all that struggle - only to get here and be treated less than, just makes me mad...

"Come on, let's go" I say, pulling him into the kitchen where some of the the royal staff was helping themselves to some of the food that didn't make it to the dining hall, and as soon as they see me - they all stop.

"Oh no, don't let me stop you...we're actually here to join you" I express, making their eyes widen in shock - but I didn't even allow them to truly process what was happening before I pulled two bar stools for Nathan and I to sit on.

"What are you doing?" the hazel-eyed boy asks from beside me, slightly amused by what was happening.

"I'm doing the right thing" I respond, making him flush - and as a result, I feel those weird things in my stomach once more. Butterflies, Joshua called them. 

I feel a smile make its way up to my face as I see just how flustered the boy beside me is, and how did not see this before? How did I not realize that something had been developing between him and I all this while. 

But, if I'm being honest, how was I supposed to know? How was I supposed to know that I would fall for someone so damn quickly? I mean, it has only been a few weeks...

"Robert" my mother calls out, making everyone stop their eating once more. "The King would like to have a word."

Oh, now I'm going to have to explain why I'd much rather eat with the 'commoners', than eat with the rest of the royal family. Somebody save me from this misery...

My thoughts are interrupted by a hand squeezing mine comfortingly - and that is when I realize, I never let go of Nathan's hand. I stare at our conjoined hands and feel just how his hand feels like it belongs in mine, before I raise my gaze to stare at him - only to meet his eyes already on mine, and he immediately flushes...

"Robert" my mother calls out again, this time - louder.

"Okay" I answer, getting off my seat and pulling Nathan with me into the dining hall, but before we make it inside - he releases my hand, and I don't even have time to dwell on it because we are pushed into the dining hall by my mother.

"Oh, Robert - have a seat" the King gestures to the seat to his right. 

"There's only one seat there, we can just sit here" I state, already heading to the chairs that Sophia sat beside.

"We?" the King chuckles. "I hope you are not laboring under the delusion that we're going to share this feast with his kind" he points to Nathaniel - and I am immediately hit with a sense to protect the hazel-eyed boy at all costs.

"And that's why I had decided to go to the kitchen to eat with him and 'his kind'" I sass back, and upon seeing the King's reaction - my heart begins thumping against my chest in fear. He clenches his jaw and it looks like he's about to throw a fit (like his daughter) - but, he retains his composure, which in turn makes me relax.

He smiles sadistically and asks, "And why should we go an extra mile to accommodate your...friend?"

"With all due respect Your Majesty, but it's not about accommodating him" I explain gently. "It's about doing what's right by him and the rest of the settlement. When the Battle of Old Place Rockmount happened, people died - hundreds of people" I add, making the King sit up straight as he listens to every word that leaves my mouth.

"And as far as I'm concerned, not one member of the royal family died that day - but hundreds of settlers lost their spouses, their children..." I steal a glance at Nathaniel "...their parents. So, I believe this day should be about remembering those that died for our settlement, instead of throwing a lavish feast and excluding those that were truly affected that battle" I conclude, and take the risk of looking around the hall.

My mother's disappointed gaze, my father's death glare, Sophia's shocked expression, and Joshua's thumbs up...

"Well, we'll see where that mentality lands you after the Coronation" he laughs cruelly. 

What the hell does he mean? "The Coronation?" I voice my confusion.

"Yes," he smiles "Didn't your mother tell you? I've been in constant communication with Prince Claudius Cassidy of the Goldfleece and the deputy chief advisor at Hillwood about my vacation of the throne. In just a few months, you'll be the new King of Quinnston."

And with those words, reality begins to sink in - so this is what Joshua wanted to tell me? 

He travelled for God knows how long to tell me this because he knows that if I don't take the necessary measures to run away now, then I'll be too far in to leave once this spoilt-brat becomes the Queen...

Oh goodness, I am royally screwed.

**********

And that was the tenth chapter - and I couldn't be happier for putting this one out here. Two freaking updates, in one day!

And man oh man, did things just take a turn for the worse - the King is stepping down, and Victoria has to take over.

A lot of drama is about to break out, and I hope you're ready for it.

Please don't forget to vote, comment as well as share the story to your friends, classmates and any other person you think might like this story - your interaction is greatly appreciated.

See you in the next one!