26 | Power Meets Fate

King "Robert's" POV

It's really odd how time works. The minute you await a particular day is the more the days seem to get longer, seconds tick by slower, minutes turn into hours and the hours feel like days. But the minute you dread something, the quicker it gets.

Take me for example, the three days that witch told me about were an absolute blur, which make today the day the love of my life will meet his untimely demise.

I mean in three days I could have possibly come up with a mega plan to break out of this palace unscathed, but seeing as my body still ached greatly, the only thing I did was to sleep, drag my body to the shower, and eat whatever meals they decide to bring to my bedroom - like the prisoner I am.

Now that I think about it, the only things that stood out over the past days was the horrible pain my body has been through, the rising stress levels as the dreaded day neared, and Victoria's persistent visits - all in the name of taunting me to the best of her abilities.

And as if my life couldn't get any worse, the Queen decides to make her presence known - barging through the door with her red dress, paired up with red heels and a white trench coat.

"Good morning" she greets happily, making her way to the other side of the bedroom, opening the curtains. "I said good morning."

She's bloody mistaken if she thinks I'm gonna talk to her today of all days, I think to myself.

"Well" she shrugs. "I guess you don't want to see your boyfriend before he dies so I'll see myself out." Upon hearing her words, I shoot straight up from the bed - doing my best not to focus on the sharp pain that engulfed my entire body at the rapid action.

"Oh yeah" she smiles. "I guess I'm not as selfish as you thought I was. That's why I'm inviting you to the execution..." she pauses "...ceremony? Is it a ceremony though? Well for me it is. Anyways, I just wanted to know if I'm not too dashing, don't want to steal the show now do I?" she smirks. "But from your silence, I can tell I've taken your breath away so I guess I am" she laughs dramatically, before leaving my bedroom.

*****

Victoria's short tenure had brought forth great lengths of change but this one undeniably stole the cake. It had been over 77 years since this settlement had witnessed its last public execution and we were going to witness it again, today - with Nathaniel.

Apparently an invitation had been extended to community members as the execution was set to take place at a local field, and to say I was in utter disbelief at the sheer cruelty of the woman I call my wife would be an understatement.

She has truly outdone herself was the only thought that circled my brain as the crowd around continued to grow bigger and bigger by the minute.

I for one had the best seat right at the front reserved for me, but I stood with the crowd as I could not bring myself to be in the front throughout this procedure. I'm sure as hell not gonna survive seeing this.

I mean knowing that Nathaniel is innocent makes this situation even more gut-wrenching for me. What makes it worse is the fact that some of the high ranking members of the Hillwood were also present, and they also know that the hazel-eyed boy didn't do anything. So why aren't they saying anything? Why aren't they doing anything to stop Victoria?