21 | An Old-Friend

Prince "Robert's" POV

I couldn't sit in this hall any longer! Not only did this witch of a Princess decide to order that Nathaniel should be executed, but she also saw fit to out me to the entire council.

Get this, I don't think that I processed my attraction towards the hazel-eyed boy which is why I don't think that I was ever in the closet or needed to come to terms with my sexuality - I just knew I liked being with the boy, that's it.

But that does not mean that I wanted the whole council to know my business, let alone not from my own mouth. I have let this abuse of power from her end go on for far too long. 

She wanted me to change my name and I did. She wanted me to stop going to school and I did. Today, is the day I finally put an end to all this - once and for all. 

I scurry down the hallway, only for my feet to come to a halt when the Queen calls after me. "Robert, where are you going?"

"I'm going to that bloody prison!"

"And the coronation?"

"She can continue her ceremony on her own! I'm not wasting another second knowing very well that she's out to end Nathaniel's life" I explain briefly.

"Oh well" she sighs. "Good luck."

"Thank you" I say, before continuing my journey outside the palace - where guards are scattered all over the yard. I gesture to one to come closer, and he does, "Take me to the Dark Fortress Prison. Now" I command, getting into the car.

*****

The car ride to the prison has been absolutely silent, but not even for a millisecond did my brain stop buzzing. 

The Queen and I had spent the past number of weeks going through records of any secret prisons, and not for once did I think that Nathaniel would be locked in a relatively popular jail that accommodated people that have been sentenced to death.

I must admit, that choice by Victoria was an extremely smart one but I really couldn't care less about praising the woman, not at this moment.

In fact, I don't even know why I consider her a woman. She defiles the entire image of women...

"Your Majesty, we've arrived" the guard says, bringing me back to life as I take in our surroundings. In the middle of the forest, there stood - the terrifying fortress that housed my hazel-eyed lover.

"Wait here" I tell the man, before heading out and making my way through the massive gates of the prison. 

As I walk deeper and deeper into the structure, I could sense just how empty this place feels, almost as if I had just entered into an abyss. Guards' eyes follow me almost eerily, and I couldn't help but think that this place has drained the life out of them.

I mean, if this place has the power to do this to guards - what does it do to those that are locked behind its bars?

My wandering thoughts come to a stop when I reach the front desk.

"Um, good morning. I'm here to see Nathaniel Palmer" I say to the lady, who's name tag read: Rose.

"We do not allow visitors in this prison" she states flatly.