23 | Love Behind Bars

King "Robert's" POV

We didn't sleep.

Thanks to my confession yesterday, my brother and the Queen Mother have done their level best to engrave the fact that every minute that goes by without devising plans to ensure Nathaniel's safety, is a minute wasted.

So we didn't sleep. Planning and getting things ready. I had to drive out of the settlement to get us some wedding bands, while the Queen Mother talked to Irene to get the marriage process for Nathan and I to go as smooth and as quick as possible.

Now that I think about it, the whole situation with the former Deputy Chairperson of the Hillwood is absolutely hilarious.

As per the Queen Mother, Irene jumped at the opportunity of getting back at Victoria for demoting her - even if it meant that she had to assist our secret operation...

"Are you ready?" Joshua asks, making me realise that we had come to a stop outside the entrance of the Fortress.

"Yes" I sigh. "But can I go in alone, I'll come fetch you a bit later."

"Okay" the Queen Mother smiles, but having spent so much time with her - I could see how her smile didn't quite meet her eyes like usual.

"Are you okay?" I question.

"It's just..." she pauses "...it's just that I feel like I'm betraying my husband for doing all this. Supporting you instead of Victoria, I feel like he would hate me if he was here."

"Well I can't speak for Victoria's father, but I can most certainly speak for you" I begin. "Support isn't a must give, it's a privilege. Your support should be given to the people who respect and care about you, and correct me if I'm wrong but Victoria doesn't."

"Yet on the other hand, I stand here and I could've easily picked my mother or sister to accompany me here, be my witnesses - but I chose you, because I respect and truly care about you. I may have not spent much time with you, I may not know you that well - but you've given me something my mother hasn't given me in years...love and support" I try to reason.

"So you can leave if you believe that is what would make your husband happy, but I want you to know that I appreciate everything you've done for me till this point" I add. "Now, I'm gonna go in there and you'll have the free will to leave, or you can stay here and be by my side - like a mother."

My words make tears swell up in the Queen Mother's eyes, "Oh I'm grateful for you" she says, sniffling. "Go talk to your soon to be husband."

"Thank you" I add before making my way into the prison, heading straight to the front desk where yet again, Rose sat.

"This is becoming too much of a habit" Rose states when her eyes meet mine. "Are you here to see the boy from yesterday?"

"Yeah" I respond, unable to contain the smile that spread on my face.

She shakes her head at my answer, then gets off her seat to accompany me to the cell.

"Where is Santiago today? He opened the cell for me yesterday and someone else came back to lock it..."

"You got here when his shift was about to come to an end yesterday, and today he didn't have work" she explains. "Are you friends with him?"