6 | Venturing Into the Unknown

Prince "Robert's" POV

I reach the palace after 7PM and I still couldn't stop smiling.

I'm certain that the people I came across on my way back thought I was on some kind of drug because honestly, only drugs should be able to make me feel all these things.

I don't know why his presence affects me so, from his easily flustered self, to his soft voice, to his smile, his bright eyes - just thinking about all this, has me smiling like an idiot...

"Where have you been?" a voice asks from behind me. "The Princess waited for you and you were a no show!" my father scolds.

"I'm sorry, I lost track of time" I answer honestly.

"It's not me you're supposed to be apologizing to, it's your wife - who you've been ignoring all this while!" he raises his voice. "Did you think she wasn't going to tell us that you've been avoiding her by sleeping in random places in the palace?" Oh that snitch.

"Well, she just wants one thing from me anyway - nothing more" I fire back.

"And you'll give that to her!"

"Isn't what I'm doing enough?" I sigh, not really in the mood to argue with my father - not after the awesome day I had.

"If the Princess is constantly complaining to us about all the nonsense you do, then what you're doing is clearly not enough" he argues. "I'll say this once, tonight you're going back to the bedroom that you're supposed to share with your wife - even if it means I have to tuck you in bed myself."

Oh curse you Joshua wherever you are! This is all his fault that I have all these people breathing down my neck because they want me to fulfill the demands of this spoilt-brat of a Princess.

"Wipe that scowl off your face, and go apologize to the Princess" he commands. "And I'll make sure to ask if you apologized, so don't think of not doing what I'm telling you."

At this rate I might as well just pack my things in the middle of the night and leave, just like Joshua did - but what about Nathaniel? I can't possibly leave him here so that the people of this settlement can continue treating him like a doormat.

I guess I'll have to endure for some time while I devise my break free plan - but all that I know is that I'm not going to endure anymore of this punishment. I'm 18 years old for goodness sake.

I'm supposed to be out doing teenage stuff, with my friends, or possibly experiencing my first real relationship with someone that I actually like - but here I am, in a loveless marriage, and a ton of responsibilities...

"Your father told me I would find you here" my wife says, bringing me back to reality. "I just wanted to tell you that the tailor will be back tomorrow morning for your fitting, so I guess you won't be going to school..."

"Hey you can't do that!" I exclaim.

"Well, I'm still the Princess of the Quinns. So I'm not asking you, I'm commanding you!" she fires back. "This is the least that you can do after embarrassing me today in the manner you did."

I feel my heart quicken - and not for the right reasons. Who the hell does she think she is? To hell with her and her family's throne!

She turns to walk away but stops momentarily, "Oh, I almost forgot. If you continue sleeping in the guest bedroom and all these other places you sleep at just to avoid me - I will tell my father" she snarks, before storming off.

Oh God, how am I going to deal with mess?

*****

I snuck out!

After I was woken up by Victoria's whiny voice in the morning, forcing me to get ready as the tailor "was on her way", it became clear to me that she wasn't messing around with the whole commanding thing.

This was further proven by the fact that I had two guards following me around, meaning I couldn't escape without being seen. I was literally on lockdown - in what's supposed to be my home!

So I did what I had to do with the tailor, and spent the rest of the day with Victoria because that is what she's been crying to my parents about, right? But when the clock hit 14h30, I knew that I had to leave - I really wanted to see Nathaniel and if I really wanted to get to school on time, I had to leave as soon as I possibly could.

I mean I slept on the same bedroom with Victoria, I did the fitting with the tailor and ended up settling for a suit I didn't like - only because she liked it, and I spent time with her, so what more could she ask for?

Hence when the opportunity presented itself, I bolted to the bathroom and used the window to escape this hell hole.

I just know that seeing Nathaniel will make me forget about all of these issues I'm faced with - at least for the time being.

So I ran, and that is how I found myself standing outside the school just as the last bell for the day rang.

I wait a few more minutes before I see that head of brown locks, with his gaze to the ground, and my feet start moving on their own - as I run after him.

"Nathaniel" I call out when I reach him, scaring him in the process. The first thing I notice is how 'not bright' his eyes eyes are, instead they are bloodshot red.

Acting out of instinct, I grab his arm and pull him behind a tree for some privacy "Hey, have you been crying?" And as if on cue, tears well up in his eyes. "Hey hey Nathan, you're scaring me. What's wrong?"

"It-it's no-nothing" he hiccups. "It's not s-serious."

"But you're crying, so it must be serious" I state gently.

"I-I'll tell you, just not here" he expresses.

"Do you want me to accompany you to the bakery?" I enquire.

"I don't think I can handle work."

"Okay, I think I know a place that'll calm you down" I say, staring straight in his eyes, his arm still in my grasp.

He clears his throat, "We can go" he says so softly that I almost miss it.

"Yeah" I agree, and much to my dismay, he pulls his arm away.

I steal one more glance at him - seeing how he went back to staring at the ground - which just breaks my heart, but as soon as I see the state of his shirt, I felt my emotions switch. From totally distraught to straight fury - he was crying because someone did something to him.

His shirt wasn't as crisp as it normally is, the collar was messed up, and the red marks around his neck were evidence of this.

Is someone bullying Nathaniel, because if that's the case - I'm about to murder someone.

**********

And that was the sixth Chapter and I really don't know how I feel about it.

Whatever happened to Nathaniel - I just know he doesn't deserve it, and I hope Robert makes whoever who did this pay!

I really hope you enjoyed this.

See you in the next Chapter!