22 | The Royal Witnesses

King "Robert's" POV

Having to leave Nathaniel in that dingy prison cell was undoubtedly one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. Seeing the beautiful, yet sad smile that was plastered on his face as the guard locked the door, was enough to tear my heart apart - but also give me a little more drive.

Drive to fight for him, to fight for us. And if we had to move from secretly dating to downright husbands, then so be it. I owe Nathaniel that much!

"You sure did take your time" the woman at the front desk - Rose, comments as I make my way out of the Fortress.

Now, there is so much I could say in retaliation to her, but I figured it would just be some more time that I spend on unnecessary things - unnecessary people that don't have my best interest at heart.

So, I decide to march out of the premises, ignoring Rose - and making my way back to the car.

*****

The minute we got close to the palace, I could see from the crowd that spilled out of the open gates that the palace had been open to the public - to celebrate a new era. The birth of a new regime. Victoria's ascend to the throne.

When the vehicle comes to a halt, I see my way out and walk into the palace - immediately drawing all the attention to myself.

Now, as much as I tried to keep my eyes trained on the large double doors that lead to the palace, I couldn't help but glance sideways, only to be met by questioning looks from the crowd. That's the part I barely understand about the human mind - it seems as though it does its best to work against logic, just to seek negative things.

Take me for example; I could have avoided all the stares but I chose to embrace them, bask in them.

I could clearly see how some people gave me the judgy side eyes, some went as far as discreetly expressing their shock as to why I wasn't there when my wife ascended the throne. Why the new King of the Quinn's wasn't by his wife's side when she became the Queen.

I had more important things to deal with - was what I initially wanted to say, but I soon came to the realisation that I don't owe the people, or anyone else for that matter, an explanation. I do what Myles wants to do, for Myles - and no one else...

"Well well, look who finally decided to show up" someone says, bringing me out of my dream like state. "The King himself" Joshua adds with a smile.

"Hey man" I greet, embracing my brother in a side hug as we enter the palace.

"Woah, you seem a lot smilier than you've been for the past few weeks. What's up?"

His statement brings a smile to my face as I remember just how worried he was about this whole finding Nathaniel situation. Yes, he wasn't always around - seeing as our parents didn't want him; but he always tried to be there when he could - and I appreciate that.

"I found him" I respond, my smile breaking out into a downright grin.

"Really! Oh man, I'm so happy for you" he beams. "But I really need to know - what's the strategy from here?"

"Actually..." I start "...I wanted to file for divorce but I realised that the only way in which I would be able fight the new Queen, is if I use my power as a royal against the throne."