24 | Combat Mode

King "Robert's" POV

My reign of unhappiness began the day my brother disappeared with the night. However that feeling was amplified ten-fold ever since I married Victoria.

But I guess I never knew just how much of a toll that unhappiness had on me. It took meeting Nathaniel that I realised how amazing it is to just be happy.

Not only because the other person genuinely cares about you and enjoys being with you, but because you don't have to try so hard to be someone else when you're with them - that is exactly how I feel when I'm with Nathaniel...

"Earth to Robert" Irene snaps her fingers in my face reminding me that I am not alone with my thoughts, but in the King's study with my brother, the Queen Mother and the former Deputy Chairperson of the Hillwood. "Did you hear what I just said?"

"I'm sorry, I didn't."

She shakes her head in disapproval; "I said getting the marriage certificate will be a lot more complicated considering that your wife..." she spits "...demoted me."

"Oh," I sigh. "How long do you think the process will take?"

"It can take weeks, months..."

"Months?!" I exclaim upon hearing Irene's answer. I mean, I have done all I can do to ensure Nathaniel's safety - but if the legal process ends up taking too long that can provide a window of opportunity for Victoria to strike, and I cannot afford that.

"I'm sorry if this doesn't suit your timeframe but my hands are tied " she shrugs in defeat.

"I'll be sure to drag out the possibility of an execution for as long as I possibly can" the Queen Mother chips in. "I'm not making any promises though, we all saw just how unpredictable Victoria is when she kicked out your parents."

"She kicked out our parents?" Joshua asks, eyes as wide as saucers.

"Yes and she tri..." Irene's explanation is cut short when my brother laughs, downright guffawing after hearing that our parents had been kicked out. I mean, it is a very funny situation when one considers that they tried so hard to be a part of the royal family, even selling their own child - but in the end, they were reminded of the harsh reality.

"Man that's so funny" he wipes a fake tear, catching his breath.

"So if Victoria decides to strike now, can we protect Nathaniel without the certificate?"

"Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do without it. If your wife decides to execute the boy today and you can't provide the certificate that proves that you are married to him, there really isn't anything you can do" she fills in, much to my dismay.

"But what about you guys?" I enquire. "You were there. Your presence should stand for something."

"For every marriage, there has to be witnesses - and under normal circumstances, it's usual one from both parties. What that means is: you should've had one witness, and so should your husband. But because there's nothing normal about your circumstances, we had to tweak the process a little bit" she sasses.

"And you also need to understand" she draws a breath. "It's clears as day that you don't understand how serious the Hillwood is. Do you think they would take the word of a guy that ran away from home in the middle of the night never to be seen again; or the word of a woman that's just been demoted from a position she's devoted so much and more to over the Queen? Do you really think they would take our word over your wife's?"