Six

I look down at Estella with tears in my eyes. She was on life support, not able to breathe on her own.

"I'm so sorry."I hear someone say.

I look back seeing Estella's brother, Evan.

My breathing hitches and I open my arms, him coming to hug me.

"I don't know what happened, but she's not in good shape."I whimper.

"It's okay. I'll be here with you okay. I'm here for you."Evan says as I begin to sob against his chest.

....

Vlad sits in the car, waiting. Jord was there as well.

"Finally."Vlad says, seeing Melanie leaving the hospital.

Jord unbuckles his seatbelt.

"Jord."Vlad says, causing Jord to look back as he gets out of the car.

"Make sure she dies this time."

Jord nods before closing the door, pulling his hoodie over his head and placing his hands in his pockets as he walks across the street to the hospital.

...

Melanie huffs, hearing Evan in the kitchen, cleaning.

"You don't have to do that, Evan. It's your sister's blood for Christ sake."she says, wiping her tears.

"I clean crime scenes for a living, Mel. Nothing I haven't seen before."Evan says.

Evan was moreso looking for clues. Signs.

Vampire signs.

He knew exactly what was happening. It was taught in his family, he must protect the doppelgangers.

He looks down at where his sister had been slain.

He finds a sharp, broken fingernail. Instantly he leans down, picking it up.

...

Jord huffs as he walks out of the hospital and gets into the car.

"I smell another."Jord says, making Vlad look up.

"You just killed it."Vlad says through clenched teeth.

Jord shakes his head.

He places a folded slip of paper in Vlads hand.

He unfolds it, reading the words "I'm here."

He then holds it out in front of Jord.

"Seek."

Jord huffs, taking the slip of paper and then putting it to his nose, and taking a slow deep sniff of it.

His ears begin to change, slowly forming to points. He opens his eyes and they glow orange as he releases his breath.

"That way."Jord says, pointing to the right.

"This is why you're my right hand, Jord."Vlad says before releasing a menacing chuckle.

"5'7, muscular build, 153 pounds. Carrying vervain. Pine, oak. Smells of oil. One or more. Very skilled fighter. Could be useful."Jord says.

"You dare suggest I add a Van Helsing to my cabinet."Vlad says.

"Shiloh is bad news. You know this, look at the mess she's causing."Jord says.

"Her power is useful to me."Vlad says.

"You can make new vampires, with new vampires comes new powers. Trust me, this nose knows a problem when it smells one. Left here."Jord says.

Vlad bites the inside of his cheek and huffs.

...

"He's in there with her."Jord says.

"You're certain?" Vlad says.

"Quite."Jord responds.

Vlad huffs and grips the steering wheel hard, looking at Melanie's front door. He grips the wheel so hard the leather of the wheel creaks.

"Sir, would you like me to go in?"Jord asks.

Vlad takes a few moments to answer.

"I want you to stay here, wait till the Van Helsing spawn leaves the house, and then bring him to me."Vlad says angrily.

"And..if he doesn't leave sir?"

Vlad's eyes glow red and he releases a growl.

"You're using your power, Vlad."Jord says.

"Shut. Up."

Vlad's red eyes peirce through the walls of the house, looking directly through them and seeing Melanie standing with Evan in the kitchen.

He hears their conversation, clears as day, his ears morphing into points and twitching around.

"There's something I need to tell you, Mel. It's about Estella, well...moreso what attacked her. What attacked you."Evan says.

"What are you talking about?"Estella asks.

Vlad quickly grabs a fist full of Jordans jacket, making him jump.

"Distraction. Now."Vlad demands.

"Yes sir."Jord says, quickly getting out of the car.