Twelve

I open my eyes, feeling warm sunlight on my face. I sit up a bit, looking around Vlad's glorious bedroom.

I then look over, seeing Vlad wasn't in bed. He explained how he wouldn't be there much during the day.

On account of the sun of course. Although it didn't burn him.

I hear the door open, and I see Evan come into the room, dressed as a butler. He keeps his head down as he presents a tray that contained a cup of tea and a plate of food.

"Evan what are you doing?"I ask softly.

"Mustn't speak to the mistress."he says quietly, turning and placing the tray on the bedside table before turning, quickly exiting the room.

I give a confused stare in his direction as I pull the blanket off of myself.

I get up out of bed, walking to the door and then out of the room.

I walk down the hall, following the smell of food.

I enter the kitchen, seeing Jord at the stove, and the girl vampire against the counter, filing her nails.

"Good morning Melanie."Jord says, his back to me.

"How on earth did you know I was.."

"Very distinctive smell you have there."he says.

"Jordan has an incredible sense of smell. A gift, from Vlad. He could smell you 40 miles away."the girl says.

Jord huffs.

"That's incredible."I say, looking at him.

"And that, is Shiloh. Nothing special about her she's just a bitch."Jord says, making me chuckle a bit.

She scoffs and then folds her arms.

"At least my gift is useful in combat."she says.

"I could smell combat before it gets within 15 miles of us."Jord says, making her roll her eyes and scoff again.

"I could take your head off with the swing of my hand!"she says.

"You stepped in shit this morning."

"Uhg!"she stomps her feet and then walks out of the kitchen, causing me to laugh.

"You guys are like siblings."I say.

"Well, if you've been stuck together for over 70 years you tend to learn a lot about each other. Pissing her off is the highlight of my day."he says, making me chuckle.

"70 years?"I ask in shock.

"Yeah. I'm 126."he says, looking down into the pan as he cooks.

"That is insane."I say quietly.

"What've you done to Shiloh this time."I hear Vlad huff as he walks into the kitchen.

"Nothing but the worst my liege."Jord says nonchalantly, scooping the eggs in the pan on to a plate.

"Good morning my flower."he says, taking both my hands.

I chuckle and blush as he places a kiss to the back of them both.

"Did you eat? I'm sure Jord's food is delicious."he says with a smile.

"I was a chef before I was killed."Jord shrugs.

"I will, I don't have much of an appetite in the mornings."I chuckle.

"Get one fast, you're the only person in the house that actually eats food."Jord says before walking out of the kitchen.

I chuckle as Vlad sits at the counter.

"Um, Vlad.. I saw Evan this morning. He's your butler now?"I ask softly.

"Well, yes. Does it pain you to see that?"he asks.

"No, I just...I know I can't forgive him for lying to me my entire life but..he just seems so.."

"Empty."Vlad says, causing me to look up at him.

"Yes."I say.

"Most young vampires only have one thing on their minds. Food. When he attacked you yesterday, he gave you a sniff didn't he?"Vlad asks.

I nod.

"He was checking to see if you were marked."Vlad says.

"Marked? L-like the bites?"

"Basically, you're covered in my scent. Any vampire you come in contact with will smell that, and the smart ones like Evan will leave you alone."he says.

"And the dumb ones?"I ask.

"The dumb ones will die before they do anything dumb."Vlad says.

I huff, looking down.

"What troubles you my heart?"he asks.

"...im not Rosalie, Vlad. I...I don't think I could make you happy.."I say softly.

He chuckles.

"Melanie, do you fancy writing poems?"he asks.

"I love writing poetry."I nod.

"Stories with romance, and lust? Your favorite color is blue, you have a pear shaped birth mark on your chest, you hate lettuce, and no matter what you do, every time you bend down you squeak."he says.

Shocked, and confused, I look up at him.

"Have you been stalking me?"I ask.

"Well yes, but I already knew all that. Bend down, go ahead."he says.

I bend down and as I do I release a small squeak from my throat.

"Hot damn."I say, looking up at him.

"Trust me, Mel. I don't think I could be any happier than I am now, seeing you standing there."he says.

I begin to nervously chuckle, looking down and brushing my short hair behind my ear.

"And that laugh, I'll never forget that laugh."Vlad chuckles.

"I laugh like her?"I ask, walking closer.

"You do a lot of things like her."he smiles.

"Tell me more?"I beg.

"Of course."he laughs.

...