Thirteen

"Her hair was long and dark, all the way past her waist. She always kept it braided and crowned. She loved to help people, even during the plagues. She was so..full of life. Radiant."He says.

I eat as I listen to him speak. It felt so familiar.

"She used to do this trick with her finger, you know pretend you're ripping it off right? They tried to burn her at the steak."

I cover my mouth before the laugh escapes and he chuckles.

"She was the light of my life. And unfortunately, without that light I am blind. Stumbling in the dark like a drunken oaf. Waiting for the light to come back, and it does, eventually."he smiles softly, looking up at me.

....

He looks up, seeing tears in her eyes.

"What?"he asks.

"I..I've just...I've read books about you..they all depict you as some horrible, pillaging rapist blood sucking monster and now.."she says.

"People think I'm a pillaging rapist?"he says, confused.

"Yes. And now you're a deep, passionate person. You speak like a poet, and the way you talk about your love for Rosalie i-"she gets choked up and covers her mouth, causing Vlad to sit up.

"No, please don't cry. Dry your tears love."he says softly, wiping her tears.

He chuckles, cupping her cheek as he thumbs her oncoming tears.

"There's no need to be upset. People will say what they want, weather it be about me or anyone else. Only we know."he says softly.

She looks up, ber bottom lip trembling. Their eyes lock for a bit, and he looks down at her plump lips.

Melanie sees the lust in Vlad's eyes. She leans in, pressing a kiss against his lips.

He kisses her back immediately, still cupping her face gently.

A soft moan escapes her lips as he sits up a bit, deepening the kiss.

Their tongues collide, Melanie cupping his cheeks.

Suddenly Melanie jumps, feeling a sharp pain at the corner of her lip.

The kiss breaks and Vlad covers his mouth.

"I apologize."he says as blood begins to drip from her lip.

"I-it's okay."she says, wiping the blood from her lip with her finger.

"I don't usually get so.."he clears his throat and his cheeks turn pink, making Melanie chuckle.

....

"How's she holding up?"Jord asks, watching the human maid walk past.

"I still feel as if something is missing. I've..I've never wanted to bite Rosalie. But Melanie's blood is so.. different."Vlad says.

"Different how?"Jord asks, standing.

"I've never tasted anything so delicious."Vlad says.

"Oh? Never?"Jord asks, looking flirtatiously at the maid as she dusted the shelves.

"Even Rosalie's blood wasn't as good. I hate to say that Jord, but it's true, forgive me my love."he says, his hand coming to the necklace hanging against his chest.

"Well, you haven't wanted to hurt her right?"Jord asks.

"Of course not. But I can't help it sometimes. Kissing her is so satisfying, and she's just like Rosalie in so many ways."Vlad says, noticing how Jord was looking at the maid.

"Well, maybe she'll let you feed off her."Jord suggests.

"You saw how she reacted to the markings."Vlad says.

"Just make it feel good. A little venom won't hurt as long as she doesn't die, right?"Jord asks, looking back at him.

"Well, I suppose you're right. Would you like Sandra, Jord?"Vlad says, causing the maid and Jord to look back at him.

"You wouldn't mind, would you?"Jord asks.

"Not at all. Help yourself."

There was a gust of wind and suddenly the maid shrieks as Jord picks her up.

Vlad huffs, looking down as he hears the struggle ensue, Jord sinking his teeth deep into the flesh of her throat.

He opens the locket hanging from the chain around his neck, looking at the small photo of Rosalie he had in it.

"What do I do my love?"he asks softly, before looking up, seeing Jord gnawing the throat of the maid as he held her tightly.

"I hope you clean those bloodstains out of my imported rug now that the maid is dead."