chapter. 2

Danny's POV

Two hours into the trip, Sam gets tired and lays across the seat, resting her head in my lap. Honestly, I'm tired too so I lay my head back, closing my eyes, and just run my fingers through her hair as we both fall asleep, ignoring her parents glaring at me.

We probably sleep for another two hours before we're woken up. Turns out, we're checking into a hotel for the night. Sam gets one of those nanny rooms where there's a door between hers and her parents room that allows them to come in whenever. I got a room to myself but they have the extra key to it. I'm not bothered by it. Not at all.

Around 11:45, I quickly realize that I can't sleep. Going invisible and intangible I check the other rooms to make sure they're asleep before transforming in my room and going for a fly. The wind blows past me as a comfortable cool and I start feeling happy until I realize, Jazz didn't call me.

Nope! Fuck that! I pull my phone out of my utility belt and pull up her contact. It rings for a moment before her groggy voice answers "hello?" I huff and claim "sis, I've only been gone for nine hours and you've already forgotten to call me!" I have to speak a little louder because of the wind.

She quickly asks me "Danny, are you flying right now?!" I exclaim "well duh! I'm not coming back yet, Jazz, but if you don't call me again tomorrow before you go to sleep, I will!" She groans and agrees "alright Danny. I'm sorry I didn't call you, but nothing has happened since you left, like they all know you're not here" I hum softly and agree "yeah, or it could be just another quiet night! Still, Boxy is unpredictable so be ready for anything!" The line goes quiet for a moment.

Suddenly she speaks again "right here on my nightstand, a thermos, a blaster, a net, a belt, and other stuff. I'll send you a picture so you can calm down" I sigh out of relief and mutter "thank you" forgetting about the wind. She quickly asks "what?" And I say it louder "thank you, Jazz! Sleep well sis!" She whispers "you too Danny, I love you" and I repeat it "I love you too" before ending the call and looking at the picture of weapons she sent me.

With that reassurance, I realize why I couldn't sleep. I go back to the hotel, flying in through the window I left open, and transform back. I stick my head through the wall to make sure Sam is sleeping well before climbing into bed. There's a long way to Gotham.

We leave around 7:30 AM and drive for the next 13 hours, including traffic and pit-stops for food and bathroom breaks, before we reach the hotel they've booked for the next three nights. It's a three bedroom suite with all the fixings of a house. Kitchen included, fully stocked.

I grin at Sam as soon as I have everything in my room and ask "what should I make for dinner?" Her face absolutely lights up as she remembers I can cook. Excited, she asks "can you make stuffed shells?" I nod and get to work.

When Sam's parents see me in the kitchen, they get angry but Sam doesn't allow them in or anywhere near me. I spend twenty minutes listening to loud angry yelling while I cook before it finally quiets down. I glance out of the kitchen to see Sam marching to her room extremely angry before slamming her door.

I flinch at the noise, feeling guilty about the whole thing. I wipe my hands on my apron before taking it off and hanging it up. The food will be fine without me for a few minutes, it just needs to cook anyway. I quickly move past Jeremy and Pamela as they try to argue with me, but I bluntly ignore them.

I knock softly on her door before entering, not waiting for an answer. I find her crying quietly into her pillow as I close the door behind me. She sits up with a glare at the ready but her look softens when she sees me. She sniffs as she continues to cry and holds out her arms. Knowing the routine, I climb onto the bed with her and let her cry into my shoulder as I whisper softly in her ear and run my fingers through her hair.

I've caught her crying a few times in the past after arguing with her parents over a certain topic. Her friends. She calms down pretty fast compared to most other times this has happened and even lets me pull her onto her feet to follow me.

She has a menacing height compared to me, even without her 4 inch platform boots. Those make her a solid 6 feet tall, but without them she's 5'8 which is a devastating blow to my ego. Being 6 inches shorter than a girl who is only a few months older than me isn't exactly a self confidence boost.

I get her to come to the kitchen with me where I check the food before leaning against the counter. She lifts herself up to sit on the counter next to me and ruffles my hair playfully. I laugh softly at the treatment before she confides "I'm taking you to get a suit tomorrow. The gala will start at 8:00 tomorrow. Understand?" I nod before glancing out of the kitchen.

I make sure Jeremy and Pamela aren't in hearing distance before suggesting "why don't we go out tonight? Just a little flight, sightseeing, we'll even be back before midnight?" She looks at me a little concerned and asks "Danny, you really don't know about Gotham, do you?" I just shake my head. With a sigh of disappointment, she puts on a pitying smile and agrees "alright, but not past midnight" I just smile excitedly.

It's been a while since I successfully talked anyone into going on a fly with me. Mostly because I scared them all a bit too much in my younger years. Another reason is because everyone is bigger than me now and it just feels a little awkward for them. At Least that's what they've told me. I'm not sure if I believe that or not. I want to believe because I feel like the truth is just going to hurt more than just being lonely while flying at night.