chapter. 6

Danny's POV

No one really speaks throughout the rest of dinner until Bruce asks Tim to take me back to my room. I didn't notice before but Tim looks like he's about to pass out. Damian stands up from the table and states "I'll escort him father" Bruce sits forward and starts "Damian, don't-" but I smile and reassure "it's okay, Tim looks like he's about to pass out anyway" Bruce looks at his middle child.

Almost reluctantly he admits "he's right Tim. You really need to sleep tonight, no negotiation" finally being called out on it, Tim seems to deflate, looking ten times more tired than he did a few seconds ago. Bruce turns back to his youngest and relents "fine, but be nice to him" I smile at Bruce and try to take heat off the kid "don't worry Bruce. I'm the stranger in his territory, I can handle some hostility within all the hospitality I've been shown" Bruce seems uncertain about that but I stand up and follow as Damian walks out.

Once up the first flight of stairs, he slams me against the wall with a knife at my throat. I keep the same calm facade I used on the Joker as he threatens "you won't last a month here, filth" I hum softly and reassure "I don't plan to stay a month. Hell, I don't even want to be here for a few days. What makes you think I'm staying long?" This seems to confuse him slightly but he hides it well.

Suddenly something clicks and I mutter out "wait, what Dick said. About Bruce getting another one. You guys think he's adopting me!" The realization hits like a train as I smack my forehead. I slip past his knife in his confusion only receiving a tiny scratch on the side of my neck. I quickly move back downstairs and to the dining room with Damian following me trying to get me to stop and explain.

Luckily they're still standing around in the room and look at me as I enter. I turn on all the sass as I place my hands on my hips popping one out slightly and address them "Bruce, I think you forgot to inform your kids as to why I'm here" the boys look at him as he looks at them individually.

Almost embarrassed, he admits "it appears that I have" I scoff before declaring "Bruce isn't adopting me, I'd already be hitchhiking my way back home if it weren't for that officer asking him to keep me here until that stupid loon pot is properly detained" Damian steps past me and asks "is that true, father?" Bruce just nods causing his kids to sigh in relief.

I roll my eyes before walking away again. I remember where my room is anyway. Not like I really need an escort.

I get to my door right as it opens from the inside to reveal Alfred. He nods to me "young Danny, I put the clothes on the foot of your bed. I unfortunately couldn't find one of master Tim's old shirts that did not have holes or stains so I brought you one of master Dick's old ones" I smile softly and show gratitude "thanks Alfred. I prefer oversized clothes anyway so this is appreciated" he nods, saying "I'll keep that in mind, good night" then he starts walking away. I quickly call "good night, Alfred" before entering my false room and closing the door behind me.

I see the clothes on the bed and instantly lunge for the large shirt. This stupid button up has been driving me absolutely up the fucking wall. I quickly ditch the shirt with my other pieces of discarded clothing before pulling on the dark blue long sleeved shirt. The thing about people, I can never tell how much bigger they are compared to me until I wear a piece of their clothing. The collar of this shirt is hanging off of one of my shoulders while the hem is at my mid-thigh and the sleeves dangle past my hands.

I love it! It's also really soft and warm and comfortable and I just love the color! I lay back down on the floor and stare at the ceiling for a few minutes until someone knocks on the door. I call "come in!" And watch as a repeat of what happened with Dick repeats with Bruce. He steps in looking around before questioning "Danny?" Oh, I love this.