chapter. 17

Danny's POV

I wake up before Jason and head down to make breakfast after a quick shower. I make eggs and bacon with hash browns and coffee. Jazz comes down first and bluntly states "he panicked when I woke him up because you weren't there. What's that about?" She's already done an evaluation, she's just asking to be polite.

I vaguely explain "after I took Sam and Tucker home, Jason and I had a 'complicated' conversation. We haven't exactly finished it yet so I can't give details. I'll explain when it becomes important" she looks me up and down before agreeing "you don't seem distressed by it so I'll be patient with you" I nod and hand her a plate.

Jason comes in slowly looking awkward and cautious. I tease him a bit "this started as a me problem but now you seem more bothered by it than I am. Come sit down, relax and eat" I gently and briefly run my fingers through his hair as I sit his plate in front of him before sitting down myself. Jazz starts up "Danny, come right back home after school. I've made a few practice tests to help you study" I instantly groan.

I complain "come on Jazz! Your tests are always harder than the actual thing!" She smirks and says "exactly! I thought you'd figure it out by now. If you can pass my test, then the actual thing will be a breeze" I grin and compliment "you clever fox" her confidence skyrockets.

Jason decided to go to school with me again and things went great. I was able to stay awake during my classes, I got to use the tricks Jason taught me for English and surprised Mr. Lancer, the transfer wasn't hurt and he was too scared to tell the teachers. He was mostly scared because everyone in the school started warning him to stay away from me. If anyone was going to scare him straight, I'm a little glad it got to be me. Even Dash avoided conflict because he thought I might still be upset.

Sam and Tucker went on to the nasty burger while Jason decided to come with me back to the house. I let him drive us back on my bike.

When we get to the house, Jazz immediately snatches me inside and forces me into a chair at the table covered in papers. I sigh and get to work on my easier subjects.

Two hours in and I'm getting fidgety. Sitting here for so long is stressing me out. Jason's been sitting on the couch watching me with pity. I've already finished the other subjects and groan in irritation as Jazz places English in front of me. I try to start on it but Jazz is looking over my shoulder making cautionary sounds every time I try to answer the question.

Finally I snap "Jazz! If you don't stop, I will stab myself with this fucking pencil!" She holds up her hands in surrender and says "alright, alright, calm down" she backs away as I take a shaky breath. I try to start again but I'm suddenly smacked in the back of the head before the Fenton boomerang lands in my lap. I mutter "oh no" as mom and dad run in. Mom apologizes "sorry Danny, we were trying to fix it" I lay it on the table next to the papers and say "it's fine, I'll deal with it later, mom" they glance at each other.

Dad cautiously starts "actually Danny, your mom and I are going out tonight and won't be back until tomorrow. We were wondering if you would mind checking on the lab every now and then" I relax and agree "yeah! I can do that. Where are you going?" Dad answers "Vladdie's invited us out tonight!" I deflate slightly but continue to smile.

I decide to tease instead "might wanna change then, huh?" dad laughs. Mom ruffles my hair and says "we'll leave you to study" before dragging dad away. I wait until they're out of hearing range before pulling out my phone and calling Vlad. He answers "hello?" Like he's confused. I threaten "listen closely. If my dad doesn't come back home tomorrow in one piece with mom by his side, I will hunt down every single one of your three hundred and sixty-five homes and burn them to the ground" he gives a distressed sound.