chapter. 3

Danny's POV

We both wait until Jeremy and Pamela are asleep before I transform. Sam smiles at me wearing a coat and shoes, ready to go. I feel like she's just agreeing to this to get out for a bit and to make me happy but I'm not going to question it. If I do, she might change her mind.

I float in front of her and explain "let's try piggyback style! I know you don't like how I used to carry you and bridal just feels weird" she giggles knowing I won't tell and wraps her arms around my neck. I lift into the air, turning us intangible and go through the wall out into the darkness.

I mostly keep us above the smog clouds covering the city so we can look at the stars. She eventually starts dozing off on my shoulder before midnight even gets close so I fly us back and lay her in bed. I remove her coat and shoes using intangibility as she cuddles her pillow already asleep. I gently kiss her head and pull the blanket up over her before flying through the wall back into the night.

I fly. That's all I can do in the quiet. What I don't notice is how I start going faster and faster. It's not until I almost slam into a building that I find I'm gasping for air and shaking. Am I having another panic attack? It can't be. What would have triggered it? I know Jazz hasn't called me yet but I'm not very worried about that.

I try to control my breathing like Jazz taught me as I lower into an alleyway but it doesn't help. I slowly become lightheaded and transform back into my human form as I fall to the ground. Tears start dripping down my face as I close my eyes and try to push myself against a brick wall to ground myself but it only gets harder to breathe as my head goes fuzzy and I can't find focus to calm myself down.

Suddenly a firm hand grabs my arm and my breathing stops all together as my eyes fly open. I catch the tail end of "-kid look at me" in a deep, modified voice. Kneeling in front of me is someone over twice my size in a leather jacket and a red, metal helmet and what looks like body armor with a red symbol on it. When did he show up?

Red Hood's POV

It's nearly two in the morning and I'm patrolling crime alley. My territory. It's unusually quiet tonight but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. Who even came up with that saying?

I was hoping to take out some frustration through fighting though so I guess I'm a little disappointed. Suddenly I see a bright white flash of light as I ride past an alleyway. I quickly pull into a different alley, park my motorcycle and run back with my gun ready. I press the com on my helmet before speaking softly "Red to big B, come in?" With my voice modifier on.

Batman quickly responds "what's going on Red Hood?" I quickly report "a bright flash of light just went off. About to investigate, stand by?" He bluntly answers "Nightwing is on route, proceed with caution" I release the com and look around the corner. It's dark but I don't see anyone.

Listening closer, I hear heavy breathing and approach cautiously with my gun ready. It's rapid, panicked breathing coming from the other side of a dumpster. I quickly move around and gasp as I see a child sitting there gripping at his hair in the middle of a panic attack. I quickly press my com and report "it's a child B. He doesn't appear hurt but he's having a panic attack" he quickly responds "Nightwing will arrive shortly. Keep him from hurting himself" I release the com and study the kid as best I can in the darkness.

Black hair, pale skin, baggy clothes, no shoes, no jacket. It looks like there's a phone in his pocket. He looks, maybe 12? I quickly holster my gun and call out "kid?" No response "kid, just breathe slowly" still no response. He's crying too so I kneel down and try again "can you hear me?" Still nothing so I start to reach out as I say "come on kid, look at me" and grip his arm. He gasps as his eyes fly open to stare at me.