chapter. 5

Danny's POV 

Only a few minutes into the party and I get completely separated from my company by a girl dragging me off to dance only to be completely abandoned when she realizes I don't know how. A little panicked, I make my way through the crowd to a far wall where I find a man with graying hair, a lean but strong build, kind but stern eyes, and wearing a butler's uniform. 

I approach him cautiously and nearly desperately ask "e-excuse me sir. May I stand next to you until I spot my friend or her parents?" He holds out his arm with a kind smile in a welcoming gesture. I quickly move against the wall, facing the party goers, and keep only a few inches between us. I'm just hoping his presence deters others from trying to dance with me again. 

He decides to strike a conversation "you're not here with your parents?" I shake my head and politely answer "no sir, I'm only here as a plus one" he's higher in ranking here than I am so polite is the only way to go. I may be a crowned prince in the zone, but here, I'm a mesely kid. 

He hums his acknowledgement and requests "who are you here with, dear child?" I hum and introduce myself "I go by Danny sir. I'm here with the Manson's" he nods down at me and says "if we're to be on a first name basis, then please call me Alfred" I smile brightly at him as he looks down at me. Might as well use my cuteness to my advantage.

He double checks with me as he looks over the crowd "Jeremy, Pamela, and Samantha Manson?" He looks like he's following something- or someone. I nod and agree "yeah, those Manson's!" Excitedly. His expression hardens as he states "they just dragged their daughter out" I groan in irritation.

I sass "they're probably just trying to ditch me by using Sam as bait. I wouldn't put it past them" all respect in my voice, gone. He looks down at me surprised and a little worried. I place my hand on my hip and explain bluntly "Jeremy and Pamela don't like me around their daughter. They react to me like some kind of stray their daughter keeps bringing home" I shrug, not really bothered.

He points it out "you don't seem very surprised" I shake my head and agree "not really. You wouldn't believe how many times they've tried to bribe me. More and more money each time" he shakes his head in disappointment. A normal person wouldn't have heard him mutter "for shame, bribing a child" he sighs and asks "why would they wish you away from Madam Samantha?" I snort at him saying her full name before seeing his raised eyebrow.

I quickly clear my throat and apologize "I'm sorry, that was rude. It's just that if my friends or I ever call her 'Samantha' we usually end up hurt. Last time, I received a black eye. She despises her name as much as I my own" he looks intrigued by this. He tries to clarify "so Danny isn't your full name?" I shake my head and explain "it's Daniel, but I'm only ever called that when I'm in serious trouble with my parents or by my psychotic godfather" he looks back out at the crowd.

I do the same and recount the question that got us here "but that's not what you wanted to know. They think of me as a bad influence on her because of how I normally look and because of my grades- or what used to be my grades" he nods as a signal to elaborate "I was a straight A student before an accident happened when I was 14, then my grades plummeted and everything became so difficult. I managed to get the hang of everything again so now I get B's and C's and on occasion an A" he looks concerned now. 

Gently he asks "may I inquire as to what kind of accident?" I frown slightly and admit "I don't like talking about it much so everyone just refers to it as 'the accident' including everyone at school" he nods in understanding. We fall into a pretty comfortable silence watching dancers. 

Unfortunately, my stomach disturbs our peaceful silence, reminding me that I really haven't eaten anything today. I know my face is as red as a tomato as Alfred tries to stifle a chuckle and I look away. He clears his throat and suggests "maybe we should explain your situation to master Bruce? He does have a habit of taking in strays" he brings up how I referred to myself earlier and I laugh.